Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing outer bushing shell from leaf springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coincidentally, May 23, 2002.

1. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

I've recently got some greasable urethane bushings (from offroad design) and am trying to remove the stock bushings (the 3 piece rubber ones) I got the middle metal tube out, along with the rubber bushing, but I cant seem to get out the outer metal tube, its really stuck in there good.

anyone have any tips?

2. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i use a air chisel.try to get it started with a regular chisel,then hammer down.if you don't have a air chisel try a hacksaw and cut through it part way the use a regular chisel.you'll have to take the saw apart put the blade through the spring eye and then put it back together.you just need to cut it all the way through the outer metal tube and work the rest of the tube towards the center.you have to try to collapes it rather than push it all out at once.

3. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

that seems like it would be pretty effective. Looks like I have something to do on saturday /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

thanks for your help

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i used my saer saw. worked great. didnt mark up the spring holder ethier.
    grant

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I just did this today. I drilled out the rubber and punched the center tube out. Then I took a bushing cutter bit in my airchisel and cut the out metal tube. Then I used a regular air chisel bit to collapes the tube to the center a drove it out. Ran out of time so I'll do the shakels tomorrow and change the frame mounts to ORD shakel flips.

6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just did a ORD shackle flip and put in their greasable bushings on my truck. I torched the bushings out( which is dangerous as the inner sleeve pops out from the heat and with the hot melting rubber on it lands on your hand and sticks to it. Then you sling it off quickly and it takes some skin with it! I hate when that happens! ) Anyway the air hammer/chisel worked perfect for the outer sleeves for me, took me about 15 minutes

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

One thing I noticed was if you use a sawzall you can cut the outer sleeve better if you lay the blade on the spring and use the gap where the spring eye wraps around that way you cut into it at an angle giving you more of an opening in the outer sleeve so its easier to ding it out with a hammer and chisel, I hope you can understand this if not, they WILL come out no matter what...

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sawzall to weaken it, and then a BIG screwdriver and a big hammer...

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J