Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing overspray from truck???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Oct 20, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

A couple of weeks ago, I repainted my rollcage, and now I have little black specks all over. What can I use to get this off???

thanks

rob

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

if you have a good clear coat, rubing compound...be careful as this stuff can be abrasive....check an inconspicuous area, then try other places....dont rub too hard it usually doesnt take much.

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Whatever you do...do not use goof-off as it will have adverse effects with the clear coat. Found that out the hard way /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I had it painted with one-stage paint, so I dont have clear coat. I used some ether on a small part of the lower quarter panel and it took it off, but i really dont want to spend the whole day with ether!!

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Its a bit labor intensive but you can "clay" the surface. I know Discount Auto carries it down here. Its a Meguires product. It comes w/ a clay bar and a spray to lubricate the surface. Just spray the lube and rub it around. It will remove anything on the surface. It really shouldnt take TOO long. Maybe an hr or 2 to do the whole rig. OR get a NON grit compound and hand rub the truck. Either way you go do it in the shade.

If you think your daily driver car has a nice smooth feel to it run over it w/ this clay and youll be amazed at how slick it will feel when you get all the contaminents off the surface. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

I'll second the clay bar method.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I may have been wrong, it might be a Mothers product. Not that it really matters there are several companies making the clay now.

BTW COLLISION and I are both ex-bodymen. Hes in BS Management and Im a mechanic now. Trust us the clay is the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'll also chime in on the clay bar. It DOES work. I used it for that exact purpose.

9. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Use a clay bar and or some polishing compound Like 3M Finesse It II, Do not use rubbing compound as it is too agressive for single stage paint. I am a body and paint person and this is what I would do to my rig