Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing Oxidized Paint -------, Polishing, etc.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BEHJR, Apr 3, 2004.

1. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Not really ready for a paint job yet. More mechanical work to do. But in the mean time, want to clean up the exterior as much as I can .
    Recommendations as to product and methods. Also electric polisher recommendations, as I am gonna have to get one anyway. Might as well use it to remove the oxidation. Pads ?? Sizes,etc. Rubbing compound vs ??? Specifics, please as this will be new to me. Gracias.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Removing Oxidized Paint -------, Polishing, etc.

2. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

ttt just once. Come on, we all gotta clean up now and then.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

i've always faught oxidizing paint, as far as cleaning everything up, expect to spend some time but that meguire's 3 step wax is THE STUFF! Zymol, not the paste but in a wax can is also AWESOME STUFF! as far as polishers I just buy the cheap walmart one's because they always manage to take a 4 ft fall from my truck at some point in time...

My method is always apply by hand remove by hand buff out, next step.....takes awhile but i usually get best results that way, after you 3 step wax it once, regualr paste wax will maintain it for 4-6 mths /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think just last weekend, Trucks! did a special on how to make old, tired paint look like new. Stacy first did a wet-sand on the surface, then went through a series of buffing compounds going from coarse to fine. If you can, try and catch the re-run of that episode because I'm sure watching it would be much better than me trying to explain it.

Others will have more tips/tricks, I'm sure.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I used the Meguiar's stuff once, the cleaner, polish and wax to shine up a '84 Cherokee once and it worked pretty good.

I did it totally by hand and would never do it again, but Harbor Freight has a nice 7" sander/buffer combo for about $30 that would work great for this endeavor.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I use a orange bottle of stuff from Autozone called color back, its also in another brand called restore or something. My paint was a cheap respray and every few months with AZ sun my hood and fenders start turning white. Rub this on wipe it off and the color comes back. Have done it 5 or six times and seems to not take the paint itself off. Will remove minor off road pinstripes too, but won't take the deep ones out, which is OK , I wheel mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all.

BH. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I use this stuff called Liquid Lustre,its yellow. I got it at the county fair, but I htought Wal Mart sold it. The stock paint on my '78 used to be all Oxidized and BLAH, it looks nice and shiny now, alost new! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's another vote for Color Back! It's made by Turtle Wax. I've used that stuff for over 20 years on faded paint and have always been amazed with the results. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I used the Mcguires last week on the K5 - looks great!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif