Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing pinion gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, May 27, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i have a old 12 bolt that iam trying to remove the gears out of. all i have left now is the axle housing; shafts and everything are out except the pinion gear. i've removed the yoke and i can see the bearings from either side. but i can't get the pinion out i've hammered on this thing with a huge dead blow hammer and soaked it in PB-blaster and it still wont come out. does it need to be pressed out or do i have to somehow remove the bearing on the yoke side because i would like to sell the gears (4.10)

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm.....Just reworked my 12 bolt and had no probs....lol, it just kinda fell out after a couple lite taps with the hammer. I would say just continue beatin the hell out of it...../forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Bearings? as in two bearings? 12 bolts have only one pinion bearing, and should fall right out of the housing with a small tap-tap. Maybe you have a different animal?

Update--- Ignore the above/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif My brain wasn't working/forums/images/icons/wink.gif -

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm.....I didn't catch that....lol, Yeah only one bearing on the pinion. FWP is right, maybe you do have somethin other than a 12 bolt...

5. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

there is a bearing on the yoke end(threaded end), and a bearing on the gear end.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Is the one on the gear end between the gear and the housing? Or is it "after" the gear at the end of the pinion? What makes you believe it is a 12-bolt axle? Sounds like it isn't. Did your axles have c-clips on them?

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Also which side did you hammer from?

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You are tapping on the threaded end, right?

9. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i had my dad take the axle housing to work last night and he pressed it out with the press so i took some pictures this monring to show you guys what i ment(see the bearings i was talking about, one on the yoke end and one on the gear end, best i could describe it /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif). thanks for all the replies /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

http://www.users.qwest.net/~adamfam/pinion.jpg

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

yes, that is a 12-bolt. I think the guys that said the 12-bolt only had one bearing must have meant bearing "set". i haven't worked with 12-bolts, so i couldn't comment.

You bearing outside the housing (up against the yoke) must have been stuck on the pinion. It shouldn't fit quite that snugly!

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

EVERY axle I have ever seen apart has at least 2 bearings on the pinion. One is pressed on up against the gear on one goes in on the yoke side. Many axles have 3. The 14 bolt, ford 9 and I'm pretty sure the D70 all have three bearings. the third bearing is is on the other side of gear from the first. It has a suport casting and stays in the housing when you pull the pinion. The pinion will be in it's own housing that can be detached from the rest of the axle.

12. FWP

FWP CRS

I was wrong. sorry. two bearings, sometimes 3.