Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing pinion nut?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mjfoster49, Mar 9, 2006.

1. mjfoster49

mjfoster49 Registered Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the pinion nut on a dana 60? I tried a breaker bar with a 5 foot pipe slid over it, and I broke the breaker bar. I also have a ingersoll rand 2135TI impact wrench and it wont budge it. I tried heating it, but all i have is mapp gas and I am not sure if it is getting it hot enough or not.

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I recently had this same prob, old 60 rear rusted, weathered, so on. After racking my brain and trying everything I soaked it in penitrating oil, let it set for 2 days and put the impact to it, after working it around for awhile, tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen, It broke free. I have also heard of people bolting axles into trucks and running the breaker bar from the nut to the ground then driving the truck a couple inches to loosen the nut. never seen the 2nd one done so dont know, seems a little sketchy, hope this helps anyway.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

That is crazy that it wont budge. What kind of socket is it? Is it 6 point? I have never had a problem with a pinion nut not wanting to come off. DO you have good PSI behind the gun? Try tightening it up, then loosening it.

4. mjfoster49

mjfoster49 Registered Member

I just got it off, I used a bigger breaker bar with a pipe slid over it. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could try shocking it (I am not talking about an electrical type shock). If you have something like a 9/16 punch, you can use this and a hammer to hit the nut, but be carefull not to damage any threads. Often times if you smack a hard to get off nut or bolt with a hammer (brass hammer)or punch (brass punch), this will shock it loose enough to start coming off.