Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing PS pump pulley

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Dec 5, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've got an allen wrench that fits it, but I can't get enough power into it to turn it and keep the pulley from turning. Is that allen head bolt the way to get the pulley off though? If it is I'll just go get an allen socket and get it off with the impact. This is a pump from a 97, which is the same as the others I believe except that the pulley is 6-rib instead of v-belt grooved. Thanks

2. I just bought a power steering pulley remover/installer 2 days ago, but you can rent them too. If it's anything like and 89 PS pulley you'll need this tool to remove and install it.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, here is a sure fire way to remove the pulley.

Step 1 - pull p/s pump off of truck
    Step 2 - go to auto parts store
    step 3 - pay $5 to get pulley removed.

There ya go! Easy as pie! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

4. The pulley is in the way of a couple of bolts that hold the pump in place /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> that's interesting. Usually I just take the whole bracket out that the pulley mounts to. Removing the pulley while it's still mounted would be a real PITA.</font color>

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you mean those bottom bolts, Its easier to remove the bracket. Some parts stores will let you borrow a puller. The Autozone here does.

7. I beleive the PS bracket for a 78 is for the pump only, where on a later model it's used for the PS pump and the alt. I need to do mine this weekend since I broke off one of the ears on the bracket for the alt. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

8. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I could never get mine off, I was trying to remove it to paint it (the housing and pulley seperately) and it just wouldnt go. I have a puller and all it did was almost turn the pulley inside-out. It looked like a mushroom. It took me forever to realign that pulley to be back in line with the rest of the pulleys on the truck so the belt wouldnt fall off.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The puller that you can rent grabs the center cone part of the pulley. It never sees the edge so it cant bend anything. I am guessig that you used a puller that grabbed the outside of the pulley?