Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing rear driveshaft on 14bff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Mar 23, 2002.

This has probably been asked a millon times, so I tried a search, and couldnt find my exact answer. Anyway, how do you remove the driveshaft after you take off the yoke straps. I have never done it before so I tried it today. I removed the straps and the driveshaft wouldnt budge. My guess is I need to drive out the u-joints. I'm just looking for some guidence on the right way to do it.
    Thanks.

1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Registered Member

After you take off the straps grab a screwdriver and pry it between the ujoint and the yoke. It should come right off. Just be careful and not knock off the ujoint caps. Whatever you do dont drive out the ujoints. If you have to, slap your driveshaft with a hammer while holding it in the other hand. When the driveshaft hasnt been taken off in a long time it can be a lil stubborn at first, but dont sweat it you wont break anything. Just dont drop your caps.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like Kamikaze said.

Most of the times when it comes to removing a driveshaft from a 14FF, and these axles are old, they will require some "persuasion" to get them broken loose.

A long screwdriver to pry it helps. A plastic mallet or even a rubber mallet also helps if you tap on the welded-bead area. A dead-blow hammer helps, too, for those really stubborn joints.

Whatever you do, as far as using a mallet or hammer of some sort, DO NOT tap or hammer on ANY PART of the driveshaft tubing as you can dent and warp the shaft, throwing it out of balance. Stay on the welded-beads and you will be ok.

3. Thanks for the info. I wanted to be sure before I break something. Not that I havent before.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

one more thing, make sure you set your parking brake or block your wheels.

ARQ.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

or put it in 4wd if equiped and lock the front hubs in
    Grant