Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing rubber impact strip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    OK What is the best way to remove the black rubber impact strip on later K5's Peel off manualy and deal with removing residual glue? I want to remove these to for repainting with as little damage as possible to the metal. I dont care about the strips

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Try a heat gun to soften up the glue...kinda like a hair dryer on steroids./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Like Rene said, a heat gun works great to loosen up the strip. Start applying heat in a circular motion to one end and when it starts to lift, work your way down the body panel, pulling and heating as you go. Just make sure you wear a glove and don't keep the gun in one place for too long.

To remove any leftover adhesive, soak a shop towel in some bug/tar remover and start wiping. Freshly uncovered adhesive comes off really easy.

I just replaced a couple of pieces of trim on my 83 1/2 ton and the original stuff took a bit of effort to get off.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hell I just grabbed a loose end and put my body weight into it! Didn't hurt the paint or body either. that stuff is really stuck on there hard, so hard that it pulled out a dent I had in the door ! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif