Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing Shocks - any tricks?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_blasto, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of replacing my stock springs with some 4" EZ rides. The shock removal was the part I was worried least about cause I have taken shocks off lots of cars. However things didn't go so smoothly this time.

I took the nut off the lower mount on the passenger's side and figured I would take a big 'ol hammer and knock the bolt out. I should have realized when I didn't need to hold the bolt with a wrench while loosening the nut that this bolt was in there pretty good. I heated it up with a propane torch, not a whole lot, but it got pretty hot :weld:. I then went to knock it out and the thing didn't budge. I just figured I had to hit it a little harder. Then the perch that holds the shock and bolt in place started to open up to about 50% larger (I was hitting it pretty hard, and it was nowhere near hot at this point). I hit it back into place and called it quits. I am reasonably sure that the bolt moves within the mounts ok, but won't budge within the bushing in the shock.

Anybody got any neat tricks for this one? Should I try to burn/melt that bushing to free it up? I hate running into hang ups like this when I have a deadline to make. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

the bolt is probably stuck to the steel sleeve in the shock bushing. Bolt turns freely and just won't come out? Which one is it on the frame or on the axle? I say get a angle grinder with a cut-off wheel and cut into the bushing and through the bolt on both sides if needed. Then you could bring it out in 2 or 3 pieces.

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

when I have a sleeve that is rusted to the bolts, time to sawzaw and grind!

also to help and see if it can free up try drilling holes in the bushing, and removing alot of it,

-shawn

4. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Cool. I guess I will go tinker on it tomorrow.

5. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

How do you have the truck and the axle jacked up? Is the shock bottomed out and holding the whole axle by itself?