Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing shocks easy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, Nov 4, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, my truck is so damn stiff and everyone is telling me that if i remove one shock from each tire it would be smoother. I have two on each now and i think they have been on there for years and years because they look so old, but how difficult would it be for me to remove one from every spot?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

hummm...well, if they were valved for duals, then you shouldn't take one off. IIRC, the ones used for duals are valved for having another shock share in carrying the load.

Single applications obviously would be the reverse of this. Which could be why your rig is so stiff. Can you get PN's off your current shocks?

Also, remember to use PB Blaster. the stuff is worth its weight in platnium when dealing with rusty bolts

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

here ya go
    [​IMG]

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I took the front two off a couple of months ago cause the front end was so rough. Due to cashflow, I pulled an old set of coilovers (would like to try out the old race shocks), load levelers out of my father-in-law's garage and slapped them in. The ride is 100% better, mine you, I went from two on each side to one. Not exactly my gameplan, but it's a bandaid for now.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

anyone recognize these shocks? can i remove one?

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Go for it, I did it on mine. Removing one of the shocks in the front and disconecting the sway bar made my truck ride like my dad's cadillac, well almost as good. Just make sure you have a breaker bar and all that good stuff to get them off. Remember if you dont like the way it works with only 2 front shocks you can put them back on.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im going to have to do my shocks soon to befor i can drive it..those things are just [censored]. i also have the quad setup in my front. i personly like the "look" of 4 shocks up front..but if i find it to ride bad..ill take them of..now this valving for 2 shocks thing i neverh eard of..i thought you just slap two shocks on it and that was it...

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

those are rancho PN, IIRC.

Take on of them off. it will be loads better

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I removed a shock on each side of my factory dual setup and it is better. I think I gained more ride quality by taking the sway bar off

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Those don't appeat to be Rancho part numbers to me, but I would remove one from each wheel and see how you like it. Odds are it will be way better. </font color>

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks guys, i will try and take one off from each corner later today, but is there anything i should know before i screw up my truck? like special tools i need or which one to take off? thanks again you guys are the greatest here. CK5 Rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Brandon
    If those are gas shocks, definitely remove one.
    A lot of people make that mistake, I bought a blazer one that had 2 gas shocks per wheel in the front, it rode like hell, and it boke the mount off the axle. I removed them and put 2 quad shocks regular and it was good, then I removed them and put one heavy duty gas shock and it was much better.
    2 shocks would be good for the Dunes, if you want to go back to pismo /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    2 shocks are good for high speed because you will have twice the amount of oil cooling.
    For slow trails one should be better.