Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing spray bedliner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Mar 3, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just thought about this; I am painting the lower body on my K5 in black bedliner but it just occurred to me that it may be a little difficult to remove later should I want to repaint the whole truck. Anybody have any experience with this? Is that spray stuff gonna just want to stay there forever? the interior is already done in liner which is how i want to keep it, but not sure about the body.

2. convertaburb

convertaburb Registered Member

spray liner material has to be chipped off with a hammer and chisel or maybe a putty knife. We do sprayliners where I work and if there is a mistake the stuff is pretty tuff to remove. But so are small dents, etc

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

someone once said that "black goes with anything". I wouldn't worry about it from a repainting point of view... I would worry about it with respect to what happens when you want to mod the body (trim fenders, skin some body panels, weld something to them etc etc etc).

j

4. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I hope this doesn't become an issue for me 'cause I'm getting my truck back Monday from Line-x. They are spraying the entire truck inside and out. No more rust problems though!

5. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I had to remove some from the tub on my 72 to do some mods. I found the best way to get it off cleanly is to heat the metal from the back side with a good heat gun or propane torch and pull on the liner. This may only work if the liner is sprayed over paint or primer because it seemed like the paint was what was letting go. All the liner I pulled still had the paint stuck to the back side of it. Once I figured out how much heat it came off without too much trouble.

Brent

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

There was a problem with my friends truck when he got the spray in. I think they used some form of solvent to get it off. Spread it around wait an hour was the procedure. I think it was the chemical DBE.

There is a solvent for every material you just have to figure out what it is.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Good point. Even if I have it painted later I will probably want to keep the lower body in the liner, just too many rock chips up here anyway. As far as trimming I hope not to trim at all on the sheet metal, I will probably keep at 35"s at the most and sounds like that's OK with 4" susp. and a little body lift.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Paint Stripper??

Maybe that "Aircraft" paint stripper would take it off--there aint much that stuff wont dissolve in my experience!--one guy melted a big hole in a corvette he was stripping with that stuff!--If anything would remove it,I'd say that stuff would!..:crazy:

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Your going to like it. I had my k5 body done inside and out. It's sweet!
    If you need to remove it, it has to be chipped off. It depends on how well it's adhered to it's surface, which is a direct result of how well the thing was prepped first. Before they spray it, (were talking sheet metal and paint here, mine was gel-coat and fiberglass), it supposed to be scuffed up. They usally sand it with a fine grit sand paper. If you got good adhesion, it's not coming off.