Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing stain in aluminum?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I left the dirt and grim on my rims too long it seems to have stained them. There polished aluminum, and I thought that stuff didn't stain, but I guess I was wrong. Anyways does anyone know of a metal polisher or cleaner that will get this stuff off. I found a product called Wenol that is supposed to be great. Has anyone tried this stuff, and is it any good for removing stains. If not is there anything out there that will get this stuff of my rims. Thanks for the help

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Unless they were clear coated after being polished they are probably oxidized and stained (brake dust?)

Around here it costs about $25 a rim to have em professionally polished, then I'd clear coat them.

Rene

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

go to a truckstop and ask for metal polish.if you have a high speed buffer, you can get jewelers rouge in a stick,and buy the polishing pads and get professinal results.either way the truckstops are an easy place to find them.

4. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

I got all mine at ACE hardware. There's three different grades of coarseness and three different grades of wheel softness. There's also different rouges for different materials (ie aluminum, stainless, etc.) you'll need all three. This is the only way to get these looking good again, so get all three. Also, don't use too high rpm and clean the polishing wheel often with a metal straight edge. It's no fun and it takes forever. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif