Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing stripped flexplate bolts...NEED HELP BADLY...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, May 8, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

So I finnaly got around to removing mt Flexplate and it turns out that two of the six bolts had the heads rounded off...So I cut the bolt heads off with a die grinder and was able to remove the flexplate...

Now, do I attempt to use Vise-Grips to remove what is left or what....I was told by a friend that I could drill out the center of the remaing bolt and then try to "collapse" the bolt and extract it...Any ideas on this one...Thanks for the help gang...

Chris

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you have access to a welder, get a nut on each broken bolt and weld the nut to the bolt thru the hole.

Let it cool off a little and then try to back it off with a wrench. Do not use an impact as the torque will rip the nut from the welds.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have found that reversed drill bits work good to remove broken bolts. Or you can use easy-outs

4. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Very often, without the torque on the bolt threads, it is possible to take a pair of flat-nose pliers and simply turn the pieces out. If that doesn't work try a center punch placed at a slight angle just inside the outer edge of the shank. Tapping it with a hammer will often unscrew the bolt. If all else fails use an E-Z-Out.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would use a a screw extractor set. I recently over-torqued my camshaft/timing gear bolts and twisted the heads right off. I went to Sears and got a set of screw extractors (set included matched drill bits and extractors for various sized bolts) and removed them with no damage to the camshaft. I would recommend that.

For future, if you have rounded bolt heads, grind a couple of flat sides onto them. Then, try gripping with a set of vise grips or a pipe wrench or a big crescent wrench. Last ditch effort should be taking the head completely off. Just my pennies.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I agree with the welding a nut on it. Its works really good, and it puts heat in the area to help break it loose as well.

Dan

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

if they are stuck tighten them a tad before trying to loosen them , i know it sounds looney but it works . im a machinist i undstand threads ok ? hehee

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I know this doesn't help now, but last time I had this very thing happen I welded an old "made in japan" wrench to the head of the bolt and used a hammer to knock it loose.
    Good luck!

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you may want to try some penetrating oil and TAP them with a hammer a bit.not too hard cause you'll damage one of the main crank bearings. repeat a few times...

ARQ.

10. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

yeah massage it with a banggus.....

11. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

soak with penetrating oil and then try the vise grips, cause it is easier. if that fails then use the ez out.
    chris