Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing surface rust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by possum, Feb 10, 2002.

1. possum

possum Registered Member

I need a quick and easy, non-labor intensive approach to removing surface rust from a sheet of expanded metal. I know about using a wire brush but that is a labor intensive, time consuming method. I was just wondering if someone knew of a quick way of doing it.[​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/possum1970>78 K5</a>
    we're not always who we are

2. PAVEVENT SUCKS

PAVEVENT SUCKS Registered Member

go to any bigger auto parts store and invest in a da (dual action) sander,they run around 35 for a basic one,buy a 12 pack and borrow you neighbors air compressor,thats what I did anyway

First aid kit is a roll of duct tape & a bud light

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Paint some POR 15 (or you can get a rust converter spray paint at Napa I know) on the metal or use a wire wheel on a drill... you basically just stand there and hold it while it does the work...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

4. garagelogic

garagelogic Registered Member

Yup POR15 rocks, just make sure you put cellophane on the top of the can before you seal it back up, or it'll never open again. Another product that works great is Corroless. You can get it from the Eastwood website.

If it don't fit, force it.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Easy off oven cleaner works great for something with more of a surface...how valuable is this piece of expanded metal? A new one would be pretty easy to get...

90K5

6. possum

possum Registered Member

Valuable to me only I guess. My wife was pretty unimpressed anyways. It has to go on my truck, it done drew blood already. I turned around and ran into while it was sticking out the back of my truck. Right in the eyelid, too. I'll be using it to fab up a new grill like that Rock Ready K5 thing I found on some website. Thanks for the ideas. This'll be fun.[​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/possum1970>78 K5</a>
    we're not always who we are

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Steph is right about the converter they work good and arn't expensive BUT all the rust has to be exposed first then you can just paint the piece (I did it on the floor and now the places that had rust hiding are starting to show themselves to me ---Dam rust Hey steph did ya kill the local wally world lifer last night??????????