Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing the 14 bolt yoke impossible

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Mar 21, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

it took my IR 2131 a good 2 minutes to remove the nut, now the the yoke doesnt want to come off. The shop where its at didnt have a 2 pronged puller so I rigged up a 3 prong that grabbed on the dust shield thing, it just bent (well started to, I eased off) ... I beat on it with a mallet, still no go.. I have a 2 pronged puller that Ill bring from my garage today which Im sure will remove it but I just want some sympathy.

I already had to buy the damn hub nut socket for the axle. 22 bucks from el-cheapo brand but hey it gets the job done. God this axle is a monster. Will be installing bryan derby's disc brakes today and posting pic's later. Stay tuned!

mike

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The correct puller is a flat plate that bolts to the 4 u-joint bolt holes on the yoke. Then it has a center bolt that presses against the pinion shaft to pull the two apart. That sucker is on there TIGHT! I made my own puller to get the yoke off of my 14-bolt. Just used some steel that was laying around the garage.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. I was in your shoes once too.
    I mangled my dust shiled with a three-prong puller.
    Had to buy a used one from another ck5 member.
    To remove it, use a large two-prong puller.
    I recommebnd going to Sears and dropping the $30 or $40 it costs. That's what I did. With the two-prong puller and the impact wrench on the nut, it slowly came right off.
    -- Mike

4. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

If it's a 14 bolt FF, you can unbolt the pinion support, set it on a vice, and place a small ballpeen hammer on the end of the pinion with one hand and hit the ballpeen with a small sledge hammer to knock the pinion out of the yoke. Make sure the nut is off first though.

Or you can use a steering wheel puller on the yoke while it's still assembled. Use two long bolts and go through two of the holes diagonally on the yoke. A small wrench can be used to turn the centerbolt on the puller and remove the yoke.

If it's a 14 bolt semi float then you can use the steering wheel puller or remove the cover and the carrier and knock the pinion out of the yoke as above.

In any case make sure you catch the pinion, you don't want to chip the teeth.

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

YEA I ALSO HAD A HARD TIME. BUT WITH A PRY BAR AND HAMMER AND LETS NOT FORGET THE BAD WORDS IT CAME OFF. TRY TO PUT A LOT OFF SPRAY LUBE ON IT AND LET IT SET OVER NIGHT THIS MAY HELP SOME.

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

You'd be amazed how good the bad words work. it worked for me but i had to start throwing stuff too to get it all the way off /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Well I got it off. I bought a dual (straight across) puller and it broke the straps that hold the jaws to the center section right off the bat. so then I used the jaws & straps from a bigger, high quality triple jawed puller, bolted em on and used that.. then I had a better idea. I took the jaws off altogether and just put the u-joint straps on the yoke.. then the puller center section thing fit right in there nicely and I let her rip.. completely DESTROYED the puller with the IR2131 (you guys dont know how unholy this machine is until you have one) but it pulled it enough to where I could knock it off with the dead-blow .... all in a days work

mike

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Mike if ya think the 2131 ia a bad boy (I have one) get the 3/4" one, that mother ROCKS. I had to have one after using the one guys at work.
    I just paid him off too. LOL
    Oh for the yoke, I made a puller out of 1/2 x 6" flat bar. drilled out the holes for the yoke and drilled and tapped a hole in the middle for a 1/2" bolt.

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

If I was working on big stuff, I would buy a 3/4" impact without hesitation! fortunately the 2131 and a good air supply will pretty much destroy any thing from my truck that I put in its path.. U bolts, (on AND off), head bolts, steering arm nuts, and now- 14 bolt yoke nut. that sucker is cranked on TIGHT.

Anyways Im half way done installing bryan derby's disc brakes on this 14 bolt. YOU WOULD NOT BELEIVE HOW SWEET IT LOOKS AND HOW WELL IT BOLTED UP. Im telling you it looks factory.. MY GOD I will never have drum brakes on a truck in my life again. Pics to come tonite. Ill make another post...... the reason I didnt finish it last nite is that the axle was missing the thrust washer on one side /forums/images/icons/frown.gif so I have to either see if the dealer carries it, or snake one from a spare 14 bolt....... anyways stay tuned

mike