Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing the 205 in the driveway

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72_jimmy, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 72_jimmy

72_jimmy Registered Member

What is the best way to get the np 205 out in the driveway without killing myself? I need to pull the engine/tranny too. What is the best order of operations? I know for a fact that I can't pick the case up off the ground by myself, so I am a little scared of dropping it on my head.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've done it with a 203 in the drive way with a proper trans trolley. It was hard work. Last week I was pulling the motor too. It is WAY easier to pull the motor then take the trans and t/case out together but you really need a trans jack or a lot of help. They're HEAVY!

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you could build a small cradle under it, then remove it and set it on the cradle, then remove some of the items holding the cradle and slide it all out at once....
    otherwise a couple friends and or a transmission or ATV jack work well.

transmission is next, same thing. then engine. support the engine once the tranny is out.
    grant

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

does your exhaust cross under the tranny? if not I say drop the tranny/tc case/cross member together, that's what I did with my TH400/241 combo, needed two floor jacks.
    Support the back of the motor though then pull the motor.

5. 72_jimmy

72_jimmy Registered Member

Would pulling the engine and tranny together be a good idea? Is it possible? Then the T-case would be left to be dealt with on its own.

6. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I vote for the motorcycle/atv jack. I bought one and have used it several times to remove t-cases and trannys. Cheapest and safest combo in my opinion.

7. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Eat your wheaties..... :haha:

Seriously, I had mine out and back in last week. Tranny jack is the way to go. Even then you'll need to be careful as the center of gravity of the 205 will want to make it slide off.

By the way, I don't know what your setup is, but I can't pull my tranny without removing the t-case first. There are 4 bolts through the adapter that I can only get to once the case is out.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I do one of two things and they both work. Make a plate to fit a floorjack that you can trap it to. The ther works better if you have a helper, but it is faster than the floorjack way. Get a 2" ratchet strap with a flat hook on one end, I use a mi-spec one. Hook the ratchet to the fram somewhere, wrap the strap around the case, then take the hook and slip it between the body and the top of the framerail, make a loop to put your foot into. Now your helper can balance it while you lower it.

9. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I took a 12''x16''x2'' board and drilled a whole in it and bolted the rite size deap well socket to fit my floorjack to it. It fit under the tranny and t-case
    wow thats really redneck isint it lol :haha:

10. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I used a cherry picker.Removed the tranny tunnel and went in through passenger door,worked real slick...:D

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Go see Tonyraca

12. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Let me know where you live, and i'll come move it into the back of my truck, and into another one of my trucks :)

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i benched mine, not so bad. the worst is putting it back in. might need some help :eek1:

or tranny jack prolly

14. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I dropped the tranny/tcase combo (th350/np203, full of fluids, whoops) by myself, I just popped open the trans tunnel (no carpet at the time), stuck an engine hoist through the door and chained to the tranny. Put it back in the same way.

15. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

That's slick. I'll have to remember that for next time.

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Back into your grass yard and kick that 205 onto the ground. You wont hurt it:D

17. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Just bought a tranny jack adapter and a new floor jack at HF. My 208 was super easy.

Jesse

18. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

Engine Hoist

Im also a user of the Engine Hoist through the tranny tunnel method. I pulled the seats, removed the tunnel cover, and dropped it out the bottom onto a wagon, tranny and the 205. Then i got a lil crazy and cut the floor so i can now take it out through the top. :D

19. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I cheated and uesd a forklift. no roof and a long chain through the tunnel worked really slick! mine was a 203/305 doubler