Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing the cab from the frame... how do you get the ebrake cable unhooked

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 5, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got the wire out of the brake pedal lever but I can't get the round clip out of the main bracket (the stationary bracket) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Tried pliers - didn't fit, tryied needle nose pliers but it only compresses two side and there look to be four. I got a screw driver in there and had one tab pushed down, got my other hand in there with the needle nose and tried to push down and it still wouldn't come out...

Instead of cutting a working ebrake setup I'm wanting to transfer the long bed setup to my lifted blazer frame... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

So how do you get this cable pulled out of the cab without destroying the brake line or retainer clips?

Also had a cab mount bolt spin on me... short of drilling a hole through the floor and tack welding the slug in the mount, anyone got any other ideas? I dont want to use the blue wrench to much I'm about out of Oxygen /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif (plus the fuel tanks are still in it and its the rear driverside mount and I truck has already been on fire once /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Since the cable is probably no good anyway a set of bolt cutters would take care of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Since the cable is probably no good anyway a set of bolt cutters would take care of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you must have missed part of my post
    [ QUOTE ]
    Instead of cutting a working ebrake setup I'm wanting to transfer the long bed setup to my lifted blazer frame

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. jjlaughner

YES THEY WORK

anyone /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

This is why my 74 hasnt had an E-brake since 1990!.You may be able to disconnect the cable under the cab,and push it back into the cab by compessing that slotted thing that goes through the floor.I even tried unbolting the pedal from the cab,I finally got the cable out that way,but it was trashed by then. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifGood Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh yeah,forgot about the cab mount bolt--my 82 broke one of the bolts right off--had to do floor surgurey on a mint floorboard /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--You might be able to drive a chisel through the cab mount in the area of the bolt from under the cab and wedge it between the square nut thing and the cage its trapped in--but I wouldnt get your hopes too high--usually if the bolts are rusted in that square nut thing that tight,they are probably a 1/4 inch thick at the point where they go through the rubber mount and into the nut,mine were thin as pencils,but I got 3 out of 4 out without breaking them.Those hidden nut things are one of GM's poorest engineering examples--they could have done better.Another boner I noticed on my diesel is the fact they put the oil cooler and tranny cooler on the wrong sides of the radiator,so the lines cross over,and have to be twice as long for nothing!. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Might be time to refill your oxogen tank--it will make quick work of that pesky brake cable too--the front E-brake cable isnt all that much money to replace,just a PITA! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

jj are you refering to where the cable goes through the floor? the cable has a bracket that has fingers that spread ? if so i have had luck using euther a 9/16 or 1/2" box end and sliding it down over the fingers to compress them. i am sure they sell a tool for $40 that does that! i have fought those alot1 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    jj are you refering to where the cable goes through the floor? the cable has a bracket that has fingers that spread ? if so i have had luck using euther a 9/16 or 1/2" box end and sliding it down over the fingers to compress them. i am sure they sell a tool for $40 that does that! i have fought those alot1 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif excellent idea! Yeah that figure system is driving nuts, I'm going to try the socket thing /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I always go to where the cable comes through the floorboard and up to the back part of the pedal. Py\ulle the end up the cable up all the way and out of where it is held in, slip the end out, then theres like a clip to take off, and a rubber grommet, then slide it down and out of the cab.

My description probably isn't to clear in the way I said it... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif But it's the way I always do it without messing up the cable.