Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing the hard top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HighRollin86K5, Jun 6, 2002.

1. HighRollin86K5

HighRollin86K5 Registered Member

Guys,
    Need some help here. I have an 86 K5. I want to remove the top one weekend. I tried taking it off last weekend end, but it wouldn't budge. Is there anything special I have to do before hand? PS. I don't ever think It's been taken off....

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Take out the visible bolts (on the rail and the back of the cab). Then there are bolts from underneath also. Take the last couple screws out of the back paneling and you can get to them. It might need a little pop the first time, but then it should go. I would get some help if you lifting it off the truck (not suspending it). It weighs in the 300 lb range.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Get some friends to help. Makes it a bit easier /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

After the bolts are out, stand in the back and put your back against the top and push up with your legs. This will pop it loose. Get a buddy to stand on the other side and take it off.

5. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Just to clear things up for you a little more.... Once you have removed all of the visible screws, there are two more that thread up into the top from the underneath. In order to get at these, you must remove a portion of the vinyl side panels (bolts are right above where the speakers are located). Once you have removed these two bolts from underneath (one on each side), leave 'em out permanently. They're a pain in the ass and serve no useful purpose.

Also, even after every last fastner has been removed, many trucks have two "pins" (one on each side) sticking up out of the bed rail that are supposed to help allignment. These pins are what is stopping you from sliding the top along the side rails. This is why you must pick it directly upwards the first time. Once the top is off, remove the pins permanantly.

P.S. It doesn't weigh anywhere near 300 pounds. More like 180.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I have an '86 also, so have about $50 bucks handy, 'cause more than likely the cab seal is going to rip to shreds!!!! You'll have to go to the dealer or a classic parts store to get the replacement seal, and they are all around $50. I only had one alignment pin in, but the rest of the hidden bolting is gone.

John

7. HighRollin86K5

HighRollin86K5 Registered Member

Thanks guys for all the help. No wonder why I couldn't get it off the first time..Hidden bolts will get you everytime....Thanks again. I was going to sell my K5 a couple of weeks ago. But now that I've found this site and all the usefull infomation provided here. I'm keeping her. Thanks Colorado K5

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

CK5 saves the day /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Oh excuse me, 188 lbs, Rene weighed his. It's moot point anyway cause there's no way you're going to move it anywhere but straight up by yourself. It's too awkward.

10. squirelmurphy

squirelmurphy Registered Member

I took mine off by myself. Then had to get it thru the gate into my backyard, then across about 50 feet.

I'm not bragging, it was one of the dumbest things I ever did!

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Same here, only once. And there was no way in hell that I could have put it back on by myself. And isn't it just so much easier when you've got help?

12. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I put mine on by myself the other day, never again major pain. I will stop the mailman if nessasar with two people it takes half a second.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I back mine aginst an embankment undo the mounting hardwear then pop it loose with my back then I squat down and place the palms of my hands to the roof and press it up and walk it off the tailgate and on to the embankment and set it on sawhorse's. Used to be a bathtub installer so I was used to carring heavy awkward things. It all boils down to ballence.

14. 76JIMMYWPG

76JIMMYWPG Registered Member

The only suggestion I have, is that if you have a garage that fits your ride, or at least a solid roof over it, you might want to build a hoist for your hardtop. Like others, I enjoy having the top off on those nice days, but also hate getting 2-3 guys to take it off or put it back on. So I was brainstorming one day, and went and spent 75 bucks and a few hours, and built a hoist in my garage. It works great! I can install or remove my hardtop in my garage in 10 mins myself! All i used was a boat winch, winch cable, and 3 pulleys, and built a frame to support the hardtop with some hooks, so i could attach the cable in a center point to be able to raise all the way up! My Jimmy is in getting line-x'd this weekend, so I'll take some pics of the hoist and give some ideas! i just use a 3/8 socket attachment for my cordless drill and get those dam bolts out in no time, to speed up things! Hope this helps!