Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing the spindle bearing on a D60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 19, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

How in the heck do you do it? I have tried everything short of cutting the spindle in half to get the damn spindle bearing out...Let me know what you det to get that damn thing out...

Chris

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've seen a lot of people take a long flat screw driver and heat/bend the last couple of inches to about 45*. This will allow you to go in from the outer end and behind the bearing with the flat tip to drive it out.

There is a specific tool to do this but I can't find it on the net at either Snap On or Lisle Tools (I think Lisle actually makes it). The tool looks like a bar stool, the legs will compress together to slide down the throat of the spindle and expand behind the bearng just like the screw driver idea. Once in place you hit the "seat" with a hammer to drive out the bearing.

I have the tool, bought mine from Snap On (made me a deal 'cause he didn't know what it was) but I've seen them in parts houses in the Lisle Tool section.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Autozone has a tool like that that goes on a slide hammer to remove pilot bushings/bearings. You might try that. They rent it for free!

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i second the slide hammer

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

we made something similar to the previous idea of a bent screwdriver. but we used a piece of rod with a washer welded to the end.

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Long brass punch. Reach through at an angle, work opposite sides using a 3lb sledge. Approx. 2 min per side. The slide hammer is OK, but you have to have some way of holding the spindle to use it. That can be a difficult thing.

7. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Long brass punch. Reach through at an angle, work opposite sides using a 3lb sledge. Approx. 2 min per side. The slide hammer is OK, but you have to have some way of holding the spindle to use it. That can be a difficult thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I did mine.

8. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I heated mine up and tapped the spindal a few times and it came right out.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The first ones I did, I used a air powered die grinder with a cone shaped abrasive stone to grind almost all the way through in one spot, the knocked them out. Now I have an old tire tool my friend found that fit very well and has a bend similar to the heated up screwdriver method. It will knock them right out.

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Here is a pic of my tool. It is Blue Point #YA2250 but I believe Lisle Tools actually makes it.

[​IMG]

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know if this will work on a D60, but when I did the spindle bearings in my Jeeps D35 I installed the spindles backward on there studs on the Knuckle. (no axleshafts installed). I put the nuts on the bolts to hold the spindle in place and then I used a slide hammer to put them out. Worked like a dream.

Harley