Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing the steering arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by santana, Dec 21, 2004.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Besides soaking it with penetrating oil and beating the crap out of it with a BFH is there another trick to removing it off the knuckle? :confused:

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have been trying for 3days straight, im done w/ my lift kit except for the new steering arm. its really annoying, i guess everyone on here has told me there are concial(spelling?) washers that go down on the 3studs, in a shape of a cone and if you hit upwards it only gets harder to get off. if you find out a way tell me, im having a friend whos a heavy machine mechanic help me out on this one.. its so stuborn, goodluck.

3. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Yeah I've been soaking it for 2 days and beating down on it till I cant feel my fingers and it won't budge. There's gotta be another way.

4. stockk5

some people were saying that the washer will spin out, they are basically threaded on, im thinking if you can somehow clamp onto them and twist them somehow it might work. these guys seem to have some good tips.. i asked the same question few days ago.
    http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=58503

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have never used any type of penetratrating oil and have never had to swing my 2 pound ball peen hammer more than a dozen times to remove a steering arm. Maybe you guys swing a hammer like a girl? :rolleyes: :haha: There is no other trick than to hit it real hard a couple inches from where the draglink was attached. Do you have the axle supported firmly? If the jackstands are under the frame and the axle is hanging in the air from the springs it will be difficult to remove the arm.

6. woods

woods Registered Member

there was a thread around eariler and one of the guys said losen the bolts on the steering arm alittle bit and drive it around for a day or so and then check and see if it popped lose

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a 5 foot breaker bar as a heavy wedge and hit the hell out of it with the BFH. The breaker bar weight about 40 pounds. Had it from some concrete work. They are about $20 at Lowes. Took it off quickly after we waisted an hour of beating with the BFH. The wedge (and weight) was the trick, just be careful not to drive it into the threads. One of the guys helping me tried a wood splitting wedge, but it was hard to get the angle right.

8. BURBicon

BURBicon Registered Member

Mr nice guy is right.

When you get the truck up in the air as high as you can to do the lift, you take the tires off the fron axle and drop that sucker on the ground so that you can take a good swing at it. I've done a couple and you pretty much wack'em on top and on the side a few times and they'll fall off in your hands. Like Mr Nice Guy says "no lube needed".

9. stockk5

this just gets more frustrating learning you guys are taking it off with no effort, i have about a 5lb sludge, w/ a 2ft handle and my axel is suppored with a jack and jackstand, i am taking huge swings basically right where the drag link attaches to try and get it to break loose. yet it doesnt move.

10. joeshmo473

joeshmo473 Registered Member

its easy, not

ok use WD-40 and soak it very well, wait a day, then torque the three bolts down as tight as you can, impact wrench is best, i torqued mine to something like 300 lbs. ok well the rust has prob. broken by now, now whack the hell out of it with a hammer, and then if that doesnt work heat it up and whack the hell out of, it will get really loud when the sleaves losen up, they arent washers they are cone shaped sleaves, and pull these out with big pliers

11. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

Sometimes they come off easy sometimes they don't. Another thing you can try is putting a punch on the crack in the conical washer and trying to spin it around. That's what I had to do to get one of the steering arms off my axle. The other two had come loose, but the third one wouldn't budge. We had to get it moving a little before the arm would come off.

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats an AZ truck right ??? It took a few whacks with a bfh and Jeff got mine right off . I know when I removed it again to swap to lower axles I had to work the cone washers off with a screwdriver in the split :xmas::xmas:

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Look at the conical washers, can you see if any of them appear to be loose? If they are you can twist them out with a Channel Locks. I live in the rust belt and don't use any lube and get 'em off with a 2 LB. ball peen hammer. I am a small guy (130 lbs.) and can't swing a big hammer fast enough. Maybe try a smaller hammer? Swing it real hard and keep force on it the whole way through the swing; not just enough to get it going. I can have have kinetic energy from swinging a small hammer fast than a big hammer slow.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  14. stockk5

with the conical washers i can see the lil split in them, they loosen left correct? no wierd stuff going on there? ill give it a try tmarow and see if a hammer with screw driver in that crack works, thanks for more tips.

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You can try the screwdriver method too. Don't mess them up if you plan to re-use them.

16. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

my method

The best method i have found is to swing the hamer horizontally from the front of the truck to the back and hit the arm at the "peak" of the Ulike if this "U" was the arm atatched to the knuckle, you would hit the bottom of the U. does that make sence? That seems to work realy well for me. So not from the top or the bottom but from the front of the truck....good luck

17. stockk5

i love torches, a friend came over w/ his oxy/cedaline torch and cut into it, which allowed it to loosen up and we got it off finally, even after we got the conical washers out we still had to hit it w/ a hammer just to break it loose from the rust, crazy stuff, thanks for all the tips everyone!