Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing the top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, May 15, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I need some ideas on how to easily remove the top from my blazer (that can be done by one person). I've thought about using a hoist hanging down from the rafters of my garages ceiling. Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to rig a hoist?

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Check out the ColoradoK5 home page, also do a search on this BBS for past discussions on this.

3. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

I am drawing up plans to build a portable lift for the tops.It's going to work alot like a ambulance gurney where the legs fold into itself. you take this contraptment and put it in the back section. with a lever action you will lift the top and pull it out. the legs will then fold down. resting on the ground and you can wheel the top whereever you want to go. Still in planning will let everyone know when i get it built. any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

fix'n finally

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Poor mans fix. I put 4 4x4x8 posts in the ground and got some L brackets. pull My rig between the posts lift the top up put 2x4 on edge from post to post then drive forward. have to jockey around rollbar but works well. then you can move top where you want it. At the time I didnt have a garage so at night I would back the jimmy under the top and it kept the rain out too. We did a pully system using a roof rack and 2x4's for my father inlaws top for his pickup and then raised it up in the garage.

Good Luck

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I've already read about the system listed at this site, but it says you need 4 guys, although it can be done with 2. Although ya'll have gave me some ideas and I'm gonna try and figure out a way to rig a hoist that one person can use.
    Thanks for the help, and keep the messages coming if ya'll have any other ideas.