Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing the WHOLE dash....the METAL part!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Guys,

As I was poking around under my dash recently, I noticed a few bolts holding the "face" of the metal dash to the firewall/A-pillar area. That got me thinking......is the metal dash one BIG piece that can actually be unbolted from the truck?

I automatically assumed that it would be welded to the firewall at the factory, but now I'm thinking maybe it's possible to remove it cleanly.

Anyone know.....? Anyone done it.....?

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

2. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

It is tack welded to the base of the windshield frame. I can't remember any bolts on the sides.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    One question man. Why???????????

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If it is like the 73 to 91's then it has 2 bolts per side, but the top is tacked along the windshield frame.

<hr></blockquote><font color=blue>The above feelings are that expressed of the said user, and are in no relation to those of others on this site</font color=blue>

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh oh, i think Greg is getting carried away again[​IMG]
    It starts with wanting to take the whole dash out, next thing you know the whole tub is going to be coming off the frame for that full resto. and powdercoated frame. why stop there? [​IMG]

bolts? tack welds?
    Greg- those tackwelds should be just as easy as a couple of bolts after your done witht that welding class.[​IMG]

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

6. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

yes it is bolted, but it is welded as well. I cut a dash out of a truck in a junk yard so I could fix mine. I have a AC truck and one prior owner hacked out the middle ac vent and radio mount. As soon as I pop my new one in I'll share...........

7. Greg72

Nathan,

A while back I had asked a question about "patching" the radio hole.....since someone "hacked" it out. Someone suggested replacing the dash, instead of grafting in a patch panel.

It sounds like replacing the whole dash is probably WAY more work than it's worth......

I'll take my chances with warpage, and just trry to patch-in the radio section of the dash.

-Greg72

<font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    Maybe they make fiberglass or plastic pieces that you could fill and sand so you wont have warpage. But I also know that once you start that welding class your gonna want to play and I cant blame you.
    Nathan

9. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Greg, I had the same hogged out radio hole in mine. I welded in a patch to cover the entire hole and after some grinding, filling and new paint, it looks as though it was never there. I plan to mount my stereo in a Tuffy counsol or my own homemade variety. I like the idea of protecting the tunes from the elements and thieves when the top is off.

10. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I helped harry change the dash in his Blazer. There are 2 or 3 bolts on each side. Then the edge along the window is spot welded to the window frame. If you are going to throw away your old dash it's easy. Get a spot weld drill, there are two kinds, one looks like a small hole saw, the other looks kinda like an end mill. If you get the hole saw style (also the cheaper one) get extra blades. Go to the junk yard and drill the spot welds from the front side, then just grind the extra metal off of the dash when you get home. Then on your dash cut the dash with a jig saw just below the window frame. This will give you room to drill the spot welds out from the inside, leaving your window frame intacked. Just grind the window frame like you did on the dash. Bolt the new dash in, loosely. line up the window edge and clamp it with Vise-Grips, tighten the bolts and spot weld the edge. Obviously it's easier with a spot-welder but you may not have access to one. I got one used for $150 and it is really handy. If you don't have one you'll just have to drill some holes in the lip and weld it with a MIG.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

11. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I have heard about guys cutting the face of the dash off under the dash pad and then welding on the new one. You don't need to smooth the welds out since they will be under the dash pad.

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift

12. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Replacing the whole dash is really easy. It only took a couple hours at the junk yard and a couple of hours to change the dash. The only catch is you have to have the window out.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

13. Greg72

Well let's see......the windshields cracked anyway, so maybe I should consider just replacing the whole thing??? [​IMG]

I better stop thinking "might as well" or this truck will be in a million pieces when I'm supposed to be driving to Moab...!!!

-Greg72

14. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

If you pull the windshield yor almost guarantied to need rust repair.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!