Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing Throttle body, Intake and Computer w/ Wiring Harness from Chevy Van...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 14, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever done this one? I know it's going to be different than pulling it out of a Camaro, but the opportunity presented itself to have this van, so I might as well use it. It will be easy enough to pull the TB and intake, but the computer and wiring harness will likely give me some grief. I'm going to go search the tech forum for something like this.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's actually pretty easy. The wiring harness for TBI is about 99% self-contained. There is one rubber grommet that all of the wires go through on the firewall. Unplug the harness at the ECM and you can feed the harness back through the firewall.

At the other end of the harness, take EVERYTHING that the harness attaches to. Most are on the intake (MAP, Coolant Temp, etc.) but don't forget to take the O2 sensor and knock sensors as well, along with the distributor. They're all part of the system.

3. PhoenixZorn

I decided not to do the dissassembly of the van because of some incompatibility issues that my boss and coworkers were concerned about. Basically, they felt that because I have aftermarket cam and heads, the stock fuel injection off a van would not work properly, and would be more trouble than it was worth... I'm looking for a camaro TBI setup on e-bay right now...

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Why would a Camaro setup work any better?

Of course, we don't know what size engine this is going on or would be coming off of, but aftermarket heads and cam are not going to work optimally with a stock PROM no matter what the donor is.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I think jiminycricket just went through this. Might try pm to him.

6. PhoenixZorn

The only reason a camaro setup works better is because of the placement of the PROM. In a truck, like a car, the electronics are in-cab and wires are made longer specific to this situation. In the van, the PROM is cab-forward, meaning it's somewhere in front of the engine.

Both engines are small blocks... mine is a 355(356), the van is a stock 350.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you actually look at it though? My only "van" experience is Astro's, and although the "cab" is well forward compared to trucks, either GM was just stupid, or had good reason to run the wiring along the front of the engine (essentially what I guess would be the core support) which obviously lengthens all those wires substantially.

Like I said, no idea on fullsize vans, but you MAY want to look just in case.

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    My TBI came from a 88 G10. easy swap. the prom was located in the ecm under the drivers seat??? Mine used the 7747 computer which has tons of people messing with it. Any chip burner should be able to make you a chip provided your cam is not too radical for the TBI

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Uhh, the ECM is under the drivers seat... Cab-forward is a term used to describe where the driver sits. It doesn't alter how the engine operates. ;) The ECM was always mounted inside the vehicle until the OBD-II setups came along. The GM OBD-I ECM's aren't weather proof so that have to be inside.