Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing ticks from dogs.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marine_enlisted, Mar 21, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Just pulled two ticks off my dog. On one the head came off with the tick, on the other one, part of the mouth stayed in the skin. I have heard this is not good, but should I take him to the vet ASAP or wait a couple of days and watch the spot for signs of infection. I saved both ticks in a ziplock in case of any problems down the road. Thanks for anything.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Wood ticks or deer ticks?
    If they are wood ticks (about the size of a pencil eraser), don't worry about it. My dog has had several of those embedded in her (and filled up with blood to about the size of a penny), and I've even had several stuck in me too. I just pull them out with a tweezers and make sure I get the head too. I've never had a head come off and be stuck in me/the dog...but if that did happen, I'd just watch the spot for a day or two to see if it gets infected or swollen.
    If they are deer ticks (much smaller), then your dog COULD have gottem lyme's disease. I'd take your dog to the vet and have a blood test taken (if they were deer ticks) just to be sure it doesn't have lyme's disease.

3. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

They were the wood ticks. I've pulled them off of him a few times, but I've always gotten lucky and had the head come off complete. We went for a hike in the woods yesterday afternoon, he must have picked them up then. They were both still completely flat so I didn't look like they had been feeding very long.