Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Martise81, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Martise81

Martise81 Newbie

I have an '89 blazer and I wanted to remove the top. I can get all of the bolts out but i noticed on the inside of the topper right behind the drivers seat there is a plate. When I take off the plate there is one or two wires running thorough it. Does anyone know what these wires are? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

The wires are connected to the light inside the top on the left, there should be a disconnect to make it easy. Also don't forget to check if there are hidden bolts UNDERNEATH the top. You need to remove the rear of the side panels and they might be there on the rails

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You may also have to remove the seatbelts, I can't remember if the 89's have the rear shoulder belts...

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

seatbelts? wha? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif dunno about that. DO make sure to check behind the bed panels tho... bolts lurk in there. Thats one reason I ripped all that interior poop out of my rig. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nope no shoulder belts in '89.

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

90's and up have the shoulders. I don't want to hijack the thread but mine has never been off my 90 and warmer weather is coming. Will I get leaks if I start pulling it off and on? Just remembering some of my t-tops and removable hardtops.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ive taken mine on and of several times, and it leaks a little bit, but not enough to worry about, Seeing how i live in oregon, you know how much it rains around here, so the leaking is minimal,

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine doesn't leak at all. I take it off all the time. I would never put it on, but the kids don't like to ride back there when it rains.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Check your seals I don't remember what it is, but I have read on here something you can put on your seals when the top is off to keep them soft. Someone will post it. Don't be afraid to take it off you'll love it, but the way it works is it will rain within 48 hours of removing it at least that is how it works for me. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

9. Martise81

Martise81 Newbie

Rear of the side panels? you mean on the metal rail along the outside edge of the top? thanks for all your help guys i appreciate it.

10. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

the bolts people are talking about are two bolts all the wat at the back on either side. they are 9/16 as opposed to 1/2 on my truck. that may differ for you. i take mine off for the entire summer, and the only leak is one that was already there. it is great not having a top. enjoy! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have read on here something you can put on your seals when the top is off to keep them soft. Someone will post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always used a little Vaseline on my seals when the top first came off. Have done it on all my blazers. Just rub a little in when you first take the top off (also gives you a good chance to double check your seals and top area for problems). Then when you put it back on rub a little more on. It will keep them pliable and soft for a good seal. On my 79, which reguarly had the top off for 5 years, never had a leak with this trick. Go ahead go topless and enjoy the sun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Alright guys, thanks for the input. I'll probably go ahead and do it if I can find a place to store it. If I understand previous posts correctly the two rear bolts are behind the side trim panels where the rear speakers are right?

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Vasaline or Sil Glyde (the disck brake caliper lubricant)The both work...When I put my top on back in August, I forgot to use a little bit of that stuff, and I took the top off today and the damn seal was stuck to the top and torn into like a 100 pieces...so 33 buck later, I will be putting a new seal in on Wed. when the GM stealer gets it in...

Chris

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Tops off? Very cool. I think I might pop mine sometime here soon if the weather keeps looking good. I have to find some way to secure all my crap in the back though. I might just have to take it out.

15. 89VJimmy

89VJimmy Registered Member

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I'm about to do this for the first in all her 14 years. My primary purpose was to replace the seals since I was bummed to see the tub fill up with water AFTER I finished replacing the cancer and the carpet.

I picked up all 4 seals from LMC and I think I'm gonna use "the ole 4 eyebolts in the rafters trick" I read about.

BTW, The two hidden bolts in the rear was also a good tip. I'll be sure to look for those now. I assume I have to remove the trim panels to get to them?

After reading some other comments, I was thinking now about leaving the topper off for the summer.... do the seals stay on the rails and cab? if so, are they RTV'd into place? I wasn't sure if these seals required any sealant or not. (naturally there's no paperwork with them.)

AND, I was hoping someone could tell me where I might find a soft cover to replace it for the summer. I've seen these on the road, but they are rare and they look like a great quick solution for a summer's rainy day.

Thanks in advance

-Mike

16. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

The seals stay on the topper so if you are running with it off you don't need to worry about it yet. I don't know how they stay on though. Also I don't have trim panels to access the rear bolts since mine is quite basic. I think you would just remove them to access though. You don't need to mess with those bolts in the future; just leave them off.
    I have an old Bestop soft top that I got second hand and I love it. Here is a link to some tops for sale: link .
    And how I made my 4 eyebolts in the rafters trick thing:
    another link

Have fun!

17. 89VJimmy

89VJimmy Registered Member

Awesome! Even better.

Now if it would just stop raining......

18. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

With your recent cancer fix & carpet I would definitely invest in a soft top. I love the fact that I can fold it down all the way, or have it with just the sides rolled up to provide shade for the kids & dog. I'm getting quite fast at snapping the thing. The only problem is I have to do it before dark. Once it's dark it won't stretch enough to snap, no matter how hard I pull. LOL. Takes a little planning I guess.

19. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

great link re the ratching off of the hard top...i've already got the eye bolts in the ceiling and am working on the 2x4 base /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif