Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aj_johnson, Aug 2, 2003.

1. aj_johnson

aj_johnson Registered Member

anyone have a custom setup for removing the top of their blazer by themselves?
    I have a 73, and that thing is HEAVY!
    if anyone has pics of how they do it, please email em to me at AJ@fretel.com

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Have you looked at this ? Should be able to give you some ideas. Others have used ratchet straps, small winches and similar ideas. If you use the setup in the link I would suggest extending the 2x4s out by about 6 inches and attaching the eye bolts on the outside. Just makes things easier.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

wow, I just checked that link out. I wish my truck fit in the garage! but a great idea! I usually climb in, lift it with my back, walk it to the back of the truck, but leave it on the truck. Then I climb out of truck. go to back of truck, slide it back and lower that half to the ground and get back under it, with my back, and walk it off the rest of the way. then I LEAVE THE DAMN THING OFF! MY FREAKIN BACK!! sorry to yell! Right now, I have 1 blazer with the top off and 1 with the top on. makes it easier when It rains! just drive the other truck.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a truck cap hoist from a commercial truck supply place they sold it when they went out of bussiness,it was similar to an engine hoist,but it had wide enough legs to straddle the rear wheels so you could back right under it and hook up the boom to it,and it had a boat winch(hand crank)to lift the load.I have since sold it,and it was very handy.I have used my engine crane to take the blazer roof off,a brave friend made a piece of square tubing that fits into the boom and bolted a piece of 3/4 plywood as big as the "ceiling"of the roof and simply stuck the boom inside thru the back window and pumped it up and drove off!! I put sawhorses under it while we were out 4 wheeling though.I used ho walk my 72 blazer roof off alone,thats a full length heavy sucker--more than once I left it off most of the summer and tarped the truck if it rained!I made a set of legs with wheels,lifted the cap up enough to slide a 2x4 about 1 ft wider than the truck under the cap and put 2 longer bolts thru the cap and 2x4 and tightened them.then it was easy to walk it off and put it down gently.The thing I made looked like a kids swingset only as high as the rear quarters and cap and about a foot wider than the truck,I made it out of chain link fence tubing,rugged and galvanized and cheap at home depot! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI've made some heavy duty exhaust systems out of it too~ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifThe only problem is where do you store engine cranes and dollies for blazer roofs when you dont have room or rent an apartment? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. aj_johnson

aj_johnson Registered Member

exactly!!!

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I made a contraption w/ block & tackle (one end), a wood frame, some chain, a come-a-long (the other end), and hooks in the garage celing. It worked but was too complicated. Next I started simplifying; I ditched the block & tackle and just lifted one end up and hooked the chain from the wood frame to the hooks, then come-a-long the rear end up and attach the chain. Last phase; I ditched the come-a-long and use a ratcheting cargo strap in the rear, just hook it to the celing right a way and there is no longer a need fot the rear chain. Of course now that it is no longer my DD the top stays off all the time.