Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing torque converter bolts...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by danzoso, May 24, 2003.

1. danzoso

danzoso Newbie

When removing the torque converter bolts, will putting the trans in neutral make it possible to turn the converter and flywheel, so I can access the other two converter bolts?
    almost ready to drop the tranny...... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

yep /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

tranny gear should make no difference in wether the torque converter turns or not. It will turn no matter what gear the tranny is in. The problem is when you turn the converter and flexplate you are turning over the engine. It can be done by wedging a wrench in there and turning it.

If it was a manual tranny it would make a difference, but manuals do not have torque converters.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You can also go the cheap route, and turn the flex plate with a screw driver used on the teeth of the flex plate, on the starter side. Thats how I've always done it... I'm just too cheap to buy the real tool for the job! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Throw some muscle at it, and watch out for your knuckles if you slip off! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

5. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

harbor freight has the tool for 4.95. I picked one up for my swap last month .....Wouldnt do the job without it for 5.00...