Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chrome Moly, Mar 12, 2000.

1. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

I'm gonna have my transfer case rebuilt. It's cheaper if I take it off myself and run it up to the shop. Any of you experts have any advice for me. By the way 'bout how long will it take. Thanks for your support.
    Hey check out this attachment and see the decal I made for my back window.

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

It will take anywhere between 30 mins to an hour. Its not hard, just disconnect speedo cable, take off shifter, remove driveshafts, put a jack underneath it and make sure jack will support it as tcases are very heavy and unstable. You might have to make a makeshift stand to put on the jack, I used a couple 2X4's and it worked great. Put the jack under the tcase and remove all the tcase to adapter bolts, then pull tcase towards back of vehicle until sleeve clears the adapter then lower it. Hope this helps ya

3. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

It's not a tough job. I was able to handle mine without a jack, due to the aluminum case. But Waxer is right, a makeshift platform out of 2x4s could reduce the chances that you drop it. Remember to drain the oil first.

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

My T-Case has some drops of oil hanging from it. I am taking it serious enough to maybe try something like this.( taking it in myself and not having to pay more than nessesary)
    I am not sure what you mean with a "makeshift platform" I'm Norwegian, Could you clearefy for me??

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

What I mean is that when you go to lower the tcase down with the jack, there isn't a flat even surface to put the jack on. So you have to compensate with some 2X4's to somewhat create the flat surface. this help?