Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing trim- new guy

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigOrange, Jul 29, 2001.

1. BigOrange

BigOrange Registered Member

Hello...I recently purchased a '72 K5. I am doing some of the prep work for painting and need some tips on removing the body trim. Also, does anyone know a good place to buy repro trim or original?

Thanks,
    Big Orange

2. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Each piece of trim around the body is held on a little differently. I assume you are talking about the belt woodgrain moulding. The front fenders have two moulding pieces plus the Blazer/Jimmy plaque, each of which is held on by two nuts from the back. You may not be able to get to all the nuts without removing the fender, especially the plaques. The doors have a nut on the inside lip of the door at each end of the moulding which are easily accessable and adhesive strips in the center of the door which come apart if you pry the moulding. The rear body side mouldings have a combination of press in plastic anchors, screws, and nuts from behind. I'd say some of the moulding can be tough to get off due to where the nuts end up. Good luck. JT

3. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I agree. Removing that trim is fun!!! I got all the trim off, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get all the clips, etc. out w/out drilling them out. Good luck!

4. BigOrange

BigOrange Registered Member

Yup...it is challenging. Some pop outeasy, others are hell. May just have to let a body guy do it. Anybody know any good people in the Houston area?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Most of mine are off now dew to manzanita bushes. And I didn't even break a sweat.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

And by the way fill out your profile so we will know some more about you.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust