Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing u-joints?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Jul 30, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

What is the u joint size on a stock K5 with a 10 bolt rear? And what is the u joint size that I need on a 14bff? does anyone have a part number for one of those special u joints that have one size on one side and another on the other side? where could i get one?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

stock 10 bolt is 1310, 14 bolt is a 1350 i believe. im running a precision conversion u joint in mine right now.

most part stores like napa and o-reilly carry them, its best to look up part numbers and bring them in so they dont goof it up

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The 10 bolt (with an auto tranny) to 14BFF conversion joint should be the Napa #447.

If your rig had a manual tranny and 10 bolt, you would use a reguler 1350 joint.

4. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

bruteforce # 2-3011BF(from the outside of the package) is what ive got to put in my 91 10bolt auto.

its what the webpage said to use.

5. masterbeavis

masterbeavis Registered Member

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

removing u-joint?

thanx, i just got the neapco u-joint. it only cost me about 9 dollars. i work for the company. so how do i get the old u-joint out of the driveshaft?

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

hmm, I don't think a 1310 to 1350 is the right one... the 10 bolts are a Napa 447 typically which is a S4 to 1350 conversion joint. See if you can find a cross reference for that in Neapco.

To get the old u-joint out, first take out the C-Clips that hold the caps into the driveline, then use a hammer and socket to drive them out one side. Get the one cap off then you should be able to pivot the joint out of the yoke.

To re-install is fairly simple too. First clean the yoke. Make sure the greasezerk fitting hole is facing the back of the driveshaft as you install it or you wont be able to grease it in the truck. Install the center of the ujoint with the caps removed (holding it in space where it would end up when you are done), then install both caps in from the ends. You should be able to partially engage the caps and center piece on both sides, then tap the caps in with a socket and hammer until the c clip grooves are to the point you can install the clip.

8. SPYOPTIC29

SPYOPTIC29 Newbie

when converting from 1310 to 1350 u dont need any extra conversions or anythen for the driveshaft do u? just take the 1310 and replace with 1350 with no prob??