Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing undercoating..?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Whats the best way to remove undercoating from a frame?
    I Just tore my body off mine and want to get it down bare and clean it up and it has some cheap crappy undercoating which lots have fallen off but there is still a large amount on there.
    Thanks

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

If it was me...

I guess first off, I'd try to borrow/rent a pressure washer and see what will blast off that way. For the leftovers, I'd start thinking about sandblasting.... wire wheel.. etc

Depends on how clean you want it vs time and/or money spent etc.

/forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

There is always the ol' barnacle scrapper meathod... screw that. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i suppose a little screwdriver is out of the question? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif j/k. I have the same and plan on using a wire brush(drill) to "brush" it off. I'll be Por 15'ing the undercarriage so it needs to be free of that crap.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i suppose a little screwdriver is out of the question?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually... theres probably many a youngster out there with more time than money, who would do just that. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I know, it wasn't all that long ago when I would have myself. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif It's amazing what we'll endure to achieve our "vision". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

To all the guys who have looked a rusty tub in the eye... armed with a tool that would fit in your pocket...

This Bud's for you... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif LOL

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Brake cleaner and a rag takes it down to the paint. Just spray on and wipe off. Might take a half dozen or so cans to do a whole frame. It's been working for me in the small patches I've been doing.

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

burn it off with a tourch.........................

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The torch works well,but can be dangerous-- /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif--you might try the easy-off oven cleaner,that might work--if not,that paint stripper that has the airplane on the can will remove just about anything on the frame but the steel itself--including the skin on your hands!--wear gloves. I have found when cleaning a frame,the easiest way is to rent or borrow a pressure type sandblaster--a friend of mine has one at the junkyard he runs,it is only about a half hour job to blast it down to clean gray metal,the frame will not rust as quickly because you get all the rust out of the pores in the metal,and it will look brand new after a coat of black paint or rhino-liner.Any other way doesnt measure up--nothing beats sandblasting it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tips. I own a pressure washer and have been trying that with oven cleaner but to no avail. I was using a screwdriver on the crossmembers but it gets it nowhere near clean. I have flapper discs I've been using but they get gummed up with the undercoating.
    I'll try and find a wire wheel to fit in my grinder and run with that I guess.
    I have time but no money so I don't mind spending time on the frame since it'll be awhile till I get everything else rebuilt and it back together.

9. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

mudjunkies right! use a propane torch. heat up the undercoating and use a putty knife. it peels right off! if you leave the flame in one spot it will ignite. try it out it is by far the fastest! /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

10. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

might be something to look at, as long as it isn't flammable or anything, I also still have my gas tank in the frame, for now.

11. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

the undercoting is flammable. just don't hold the flame on one spot for too long. the undercoating will fall off! also wearing a mask is a good idea, it gets a little stinky! if you don't want to pull the gas tank you can always use another way to remove the undercoating around the tank! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I'm going to pull the tank right away. I was using a wire wheel on my grinder but it shakes pretty bad and kinda just melts the undercoating. Might try to burn it off. Not in a real big hurray since its going to be a while till it goes back together.