Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing warn hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by buckmtn, Aug 3, 2006.

1. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

I've got a bad wheel bearing in my front 3/4 ton 10 bolt. Took the hub cap off and the inner axle snap ring. Looks like it has a retaining nut on the outside that you have to take of but my wheel bearing socket won't fit it. Tried the hammer and screwdriver method but it didn't budge. Is this a nut or am I missing something. I don't see any other retainig ring to remove like some of the other articles talk about. Thanks.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

There is a retaining ring holding the manual hub body in place on the very outer part of the bearing hub. Remove that ring, remove the lockout hub body, then you can get to the spindle nuts

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Theres a snap ring, in a groove on the very outside, its like 4" diameter. It is inside the outer metal hub. It is a pain in the butt to get out. Find the gap in it. Then you need 3 hands, and 3 tiny flatheads to get it out. Once you get it popped out, screw 2 of the bolts back into the hub body, and use them to pull the hub body out.

Once the hub body is out, use the locknut socket, take out the first locknut, then this flat plate with a buncha little holes in it, then the next locknut, and the whole thing will slide off.

4. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

I looked for the snap ring you speak of but I didn't see it. Does it set back in there some or is towards the front? The flange that the little screws set it has notches as though it was a nut.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

its set back, 1/4" or so from the face. The screws look like they have nuts in a notch? This doesnt sound like a normal hub to me, do you have a digital camera? snap a pic if you can.

6. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

On the inside of the hub there is a flange that six or so screws go into to hold your hub cap with selector for lock or unlock. That flange has six or so tapped holes for your screws and the outer edge of that has notches as though it looks like a spindle nut. I'll try to get a picture tommorow evening. Thanks for the help.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That is not a spindle nut, that is the actual lock/unlock hub body

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup what tazz said. Get a scribe and run around the edge, and pop that snap ring out then use two of the allen screws to pull the hub body out. Behind that you have the spanner nut that the hub socket fits into.

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Found a pic for ya

[​IMG]

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

O come on, who has these fancy picks lol, I just use liek 3little flatblades, a knife or 2, and pry the little bastard out, lol.

11. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

You all were right!:D Just a real pain in the a** to get that outer ring out. Is there just suppose to be one snap ring on the axle shaft itself? That is all I had but looked like two grooves on the end of the axle shaft. Thanks for helping out a newb.:bow:

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, there is only 1 snap ring on the end of the stub shaft.

13. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

I also thought that there would be one of those star type washers with the tabs that you bend over but there wasn't. After the hub came out there was a spindle nut then another nut then a thrust washer that went up against the outer bearing. Does this sound right?

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Your missing a washer in between the 2 spindle nuts that is filled with holes. The second nut you remove should have a pin sticking out of it that is suppose to align with that holed washer.

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Should look like this....

[​IMG]

16. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

So you have a one nut up against the face of the bearing and preload the bearing then back off align to nearest hole in washer then use second nut as a jam nut of sorts? Also where can you get the set that you have pictured as I may have misplaced my washer!:dunno:

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

your torque talk is correct....that pic is off the napa web site. Any decent parts house should have the kit

www.napaonline.com is what I use for reference all the time.

18. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help! I did't even notice the little "tit":laugh: on the side of the nut.

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No problem man :thumb: