Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

removing wheel bearing (rear 1/2-ton axle)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaize, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

I cannot get the darned wheel bearing out. It's a 1/2-ton '10-bolt' (temporary while building up my 14-bolt), from 1985. I've tried a gear puller and of course a heavy-duty slide hammer. I'm stumped, any suggestions ? Thanks !

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The slide hammer will eventually get it out. It just takes a lot of work. Keep working it around the bearing, rather than always pulling in the same spot. Some parts stores will rent you a slide hammer that has an expanding end that will pull on both sides of the bearing at once, and won't slip out with every yank. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That makes the job much easier! I've also seen people break the outer race with a chisel then pry the bearing out, but that certainly isn't a preferred method in my book. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. JP's K5

JP's K5 Registered Member

I spent about 2 hours on one once and broke the hammer! I ended up gringing a small portion of the bearing away which gave me room to pry it out. Be careful to clean up ALL the shavings. I also stuffed the axle tube full of rags to keep the metal contained.

Have Fun!

4. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I'm using a 9-lb slide hammer with 3 'claws' so, I'll keep at it...

Thanks !

5. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

I did the same as Jared. It was hell getting them out so keep at it...they will give (lol). Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I'm confused Mario??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Didn't you already take out that 10 bolt?

7. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Esteban???? is that you ??? where you been dawg ? (socaldawg) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Havent seen anything from you in a long while, good to see your still here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for noticing Tori. It's been a hectic couple of months. I mainly stay on our Big Dawgs website, but I sneak around here every once in a while to see how everyone is doing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ive done this but be careful attach a 10 ft chain to the slide hammer make sure its tight and attach somthing heavy to the other side like a piece of rail road iron and have some one holding back against the truck to keep it from falling off the jackstand now hold the weighted end in your hands and run away from the truck as fast as you can trust me ive done it this way several times and it always works within 3 pulls but like i said it is dangerous so be careful

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Try die grinder.Cut a slot in race,don't have to cut all way through.this makes it a lot easier to break with chisle.Been through this several times on 12Bs /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif