Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Removing wheel trim with a Snap-On YA1780

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I want to remove my wheel arch trim. Long screwdrivers wont work, impact drivers wont work, and I am not too crazy about heating them up. Anyone know if A Snap-On YA1780 wheel well trim removal tool is worth the $40 to take the screws out. If it works its worth the money to me.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If its the tool I think it is, (I dont recall the part #) It is IMO worth it. I have one and love it. I have also broken quite a few bits in it tho, so get at least 1 extra. It is worth the money, but I dont know how well for a 1 time use, because that is ALL its good for. I am yet to find another use for it.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just soaked them with WD40 and backed the screws out with the screwdriver. The hard part is getting at the screws that are right behind and right in front of the tire, but I used either a stubby screwdriver and just turned the wheel. Good luck! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But you live in a warm, dry climate. He lives in upstate New York, where his truck has been treated to winter after winter of salted, slushy roads. That stuff makes different parts of a rig meld into a single part. Then they refuse to be separated! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

True, I didn't think of that! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Damn my close-mindedness!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You could also just drill out the screws. It's gonna take you awhile though.

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I'm sure I would use it at least a few times (lots of wheel trim in my family) like I said $40 is worth it to me to get them off damamge free