Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rene... I now have a 4 gear! But a couple ??s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I finished it this afternoon and drove her home. Took me 10 hrs total. Guess I have a couple small questions for ya.

The T-case has a yoke style front output... is that a cv driveshaft that fits there? Or a regular type? Any idea what years of trucks I need to look for to find one? What about using a flange type cv shaft and removing the flange from the one u-joint in the cv setup?

I didnt use the funky crossmember that vcame with the setup... I used my other one. Is there any reason I should have used the funky one? I will have to tear out my drivers side exhaust and rebuild it to use the 4 spd one.

Guess thats it. Congrats on the job! Guess I wont be seeing ya moving here anytime soon. Hehe.
    Catch ya later
    Mike

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It doesn't matter what crossmember you use. A crossmember is a crossmember.

Yoke front output is for standard, 2 joint front driveshaft. My suggestion is that you get a flange type front output and install that so that you can use a CV style driveshaft.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't matter what crossmember you use. A crossmember is a crossmember.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are different ones out there. just depends on what year you are swapping between and how much work ya want to do.

-Jeremy

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My '84s original crossmember is under my 4 speed/205, which came from a '79 K10. Hell, the holes were even already there in the frame. It originally was a 700R4/NP 208. Well...the frame is from a different '79 K10. And the engine is from... and the axles....

Oh yeah, I forgot, my truck is an abortion.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can put a CV in the yoke style, my truck has a yoke style with a CV. </font>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are two basic types of front drivelines that GM used. One is Saginaw which I believe is the yoke style you have. That combo came from a 74 K20 so early to mid 70's should be your donor target...

The other style is the Spicer which is the flange output style which was used in later years. I'd bet any driveline shop worth going to could set you up for a reasonable price...

As for the crossmember...it just came with everything, it wasn't one of the crucial parts. I used my old 208 crossmember when I swapped to the 205.

How do you like the 4 gear? Everything shift OK and stuff?

[ QUOTE ]
    Congrats on the job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

Rene

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hiya..
    Ya, everything works like a dream! Shifts great. That crawl gear is pretty awesome. Cant wait to get it offroad. Of course, I still need a front driveshaft. Cant find one around here so far. I may have to get something built... I talked to a guy and he told me that he used to take the o/p front shaft, get it machined and weld on the flange from the later style o/p shafts. Meantime, I am looking for a straight 2 joint shaft that is the right length for the truck temporarily. That should work for a bit right?
    Well, got a few more yards to call. Catch ya later
    Mike

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't recall which tranny you ditched, but with the 465 being so short, I don't think anything but an original *early* 465/10 bolt front shaft will work for you.

I have a '76 or so 465/205 combo, front 10 bolt, and I'm *assuming* due to a difference in pinion placement between the D44 and 10 bolt, the driveshaft was too long with the 10 bolt. Had to have it shortened a couple of inches.

Of course, that length depends on what front axle and t-case you are running though, along with the transmission.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a '76 or so 465/205 combo, front 10 bolt, and I'm *assuming* due to a difference in pinion placement between the D44 and 10 bolt, the driveshaft was too long with the 10 bolt. Had to have it shortened a couple of inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a shaft that originally came from a truck with a D44 front, 465/205. My truck has a 10 bolt front. It fits and works.

It's too short because I've got 6 inches of lift, but I think if my truck was a little lower, it'd work great.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A couple of guys in our club run regular style shafts up front...no double cardan. They say they did that because a regular shaft will work at more extreme angles than a double cardan shaft...

I say go for it.

Rene