Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rene Is The Man!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Sorry this is so long, but I’ve got one hell of a problem and I’m out of ideas.

Background:

I had replaced polyurethane bushings on the front passenger side (front and rear spring eyelet along with rear shackle bushing) the week along and had run out of time. I had also replaced the king pin bushing and spring on the passenger side at that time. The truck rode really well but there was a hint of death wobble that was not there before with the old bushing and spring (I had a couple washers on before that I had removed with the new bushing and spring).

Here’s where the problem started:

Yesterday, I spent most of the day working on my rig. I finally had time to get around to the driver’s side. I did the front spring (front and rear spring eyelet along with rear shackle bushing) as I did on the passenger side. I also replaced the king pin bushing and spring on the drivers side. Since I was getting a bit of death wobble with the other side, I decided to include one washer on the driver’s side. I also placed a washer in the passenger side to clear up any death wobble that I had. I greased all points and called it a night.

The problem:

I took it for a spin and I can not safely drive down the road without the truck wondering left and right.

I didn’t change any alignment specs at all while I was doing the above work and it rode fine before yesterday. New items include drag link ends, tie rod ends, steering box, steering shaft. I’ve checked all spring bolts, knuckle cap bolts, motor mount bolts, bumper bolts, and cross member bolts.

I laid on the ground as the wife turned the wheel left and right and the frame flexed a lot. I have an ORD bolt in steering brace and I can definitely tell that my frame isn’t cracked at the steering box.

Please help.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Remove the washers...what you're getting is too much spring pressure on the bushings which causes a very poor 'return to center' and a definite vague feeling.

Rene

3. ARAMP1

I'll try that and report back. Thanks.

4. tRustyK5

My steering felt the same when I initially tried too many washers...

Rene

5. ARAMP1

Dude, if being the man was a crime, you'd be guilty as charged. It fixed the problem. I guess you can have too much of a good thing. I'm getting the slightest bit of death wobble, but I can live with it for now. I'm planning on replacing the u-joints out and maybe new bearings will help. If not, I may try to look for a thinner washer. Thanks again, I was driving myself crazy with this one.

6. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

yup... that Rene is a good guy fer sure...... dropped off a crossmember that i would have prolly thrown away..... the guy gave me a case of beer for it AND let me drool all over his truck!

thanks again Rene.........

7. tRustyK5

Just trying to help...and happy i did. :waytogo:

Sometimes tire balance causes a lot of DW probs too, which might be your situation now.

Rene

8. tRustyK5

You were the one that did me a favor Dean. I needed one more GM X-member to butcher up for my doubler crossmember. Not only did I not have to hit a junkyard once more, but you delivered it personally. Thanks again!

Rene

9. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

win win yo....:D