Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rene! now there's a new prob!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stimpy, Dec 3, 2000.

1. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Rene! now there\'s a new prob!

After sitting there a while. I looked at the holding bolt and noticed that the end of it was broke off, and that's what was holding the shaft back. Now the problem is how do I get that broken piece out? That one little piece is hold up the whole project.

Thanks again,
    Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

Re: Rene! now there\'s a new prob!

you will have to see if you can get a drill in there to drill it out but i doubt that you will be able to...uummmmm??????????????????? this might be the only way to do it but it's gonna be a bear,,,,,,go get yourself a pack of real good blades for the SAWZALL and go to it!!! try to cut it as close to the stuck bolt side that way you will have plenty of room to work with it later....then you can slide the axles out but then you will have to remove the carrier to drill out the bolt and then you will have to re-tap it the same size it is now so be careful...spray it with lots of lube first!!!!!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

I sure hopoe I can drill it out, because the sawzall idea sounds like I would pretty much distroy the diff. I would really hate to buy new parts for the diff if I don't have to.

Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn!
    If you're not interested in the sawzall approach, I would try and smack the pinion shaft from the other end. In the pic I have there does not appear to be much 'meat' past the bolt hole in the carrier. If the bolt was soft enough to shear once maybe you can help it shear a little more (flush would be nice). At least if you smack it from the end with no bolt it won't have far to go before the offending stub is clear. I can't think of any other options. Use a good drift though, a socket near the size of the pinion shaft would be ideal, just watch your fingers[​IMG]
    Anyone else with a good idea?

Rene

[​IMG]