Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rental house BS; what would you do? Evict?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 27, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

This is getting rediculous. Rent a place to supposed "friends", and deal with late rent for almost every month since January... now 2 months have gone by and no rent has been paid.

We're trying to do an eviction now. All we are told is "we have no place to go; we want to stay here". But ask for the rent and we are just told "we don't have any money".

Hmmm... ok... so how are we supposed to pay our bills? Banks and bills don't take "we don't have any money" for an excuse.

So now theres going to be lawyers involved an everything. We even offered to PAY $500 cash and forget (basically lose) the $1300 in past due rent if they moved this month. But they refused to move.

What would you do?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats being walked on . Not friends if you ask me . Use the law to rid of them .

They have had plenty of time to find money by now .

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Evict em. You gotta pay your bills even if they won't. If they're good friends of yours, maybe give em another month to look for another place, but that's if you think they'll actually put forth the effort to find someplace else.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

do some HARD research on eviction before you do anything....
    every state has eviction laws and they differ ALWAYS state to state. double check with the city the house is in as well. soem eviction laws are screwed up and more for the people inthe house than the owners. if done wrong you COULD end up giving them the house....

good luck with it, and it will be drawn out for a while i am guessing.

Grant

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I think you learned some good lessons here

1) never do business with anybody you wish do remain friends with

2) renters will screw you any way that they can, especially if relatated or friends

3) when you don't own the house outright and are relying on having a paying renter to make the payment , you are setting yourself up for trouble.

6. mountainexplorer

Well, I know he got screwed over on work... never got paid for jobs he did 2 months ago. So they let us know, and we were ok with that. But 2 months later and still nothing... except job searching, but no work that I've seen.

If I owe money, especially on a business type deal, I'll spend every part of every day trying to do something to come up with the money. Whether it's hauling scrap, doing stuff for people, or whatever. Instead, it "seems" like most of the last two months has been spent waiting for the money that never did get paid, and casually looking for another job. We understand its not his fault the other guy screwed him over... and thats why we've waited this long. Had rent been paid on time in the past, then we'd have still been patient now. But next month, and the month after and after that will be the same thing. So much for trying to help people out.

Looks like the money thats gonna end up going to a lawyer will pretty much cost more than we've been paid for rent since January... putting us back worse off than if we'd have left the place empty the whole time.

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

do they have children? have you been giving them written notification of late payments in the past? No need to go to a lawyer just yet. this can be surprisingly simple.

8. mountainexplorer

We know the "dont rent to friends" rule... but you figure if they afford paying rent on time at their old place, that they should be able to afford the same amount to us. Right? Wrong I guess.

To make things worse, she isn't working now cause she's pregnant, so neither of them are working now. We felt sorry for them, but if we keep putting things off, nothing will get paid ever.

Maybe cause I have alot of "stuff" thats an excuse that I should have to house all the people I know for free. Who else wants to move in? :rolleyes:

9. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

10. mountainexplorer

The latest we have is a notarized written eviction notice, given 2 weeks ago in person. We made it, in an attempt that she (they aren't married) could get state assistance and use the notice to aid the process. But I don't think they ever tried. If she did, she didnt tell us.

She has a daughter, and is pregnant (just found that out last spring). It seems cold of us to now have to try and evict them. But... what are our options? We've had to deal with past due utility bills too that come up in our name that they dont pay on time.

11. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check into the laws and hire or get some help. If the bills are in your name turn them off. Do you have a signed formal agreement? If not get one next time but if you don't then they probally don't have any rights either.

12. mountainexplorer

The current rental agreement is written and notarized with both their names.

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

a guy at work is getting into this. and i told him that i have friends that have been in it 20 years and he's just now making a profit.as far as friends renting :doah: they always seem to think they can pay for the cable first.family is the first to screw you.friends are a close second."we have known each other for years". :rolleyes: i feel bad for you man. just stick with the law.

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Tell them you are having the house fumigated, and they need to stay out of the house for 8 hours. While they are gone, change the locks and throw their stuff outside-if these actions are legal in your state.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Like Grant said, tread carefully. You may not yet need to go to a lawyer, but you need to make sure you understand the eviction laws, they are complicated and different everywhere, and rarely designed to make an eviction happen faster than at least 30 days.

My extremely generalized understanding of the process is that if they have a lease/legal written agreement, you must give them minimum 30 days warning to vacate or be evicted, and you have to file something with a local court or town hall (some official recorder). If they don't have a lease and rent month-to-month, I think it's commonly 3 days notice.
    I have a site bookmarked on my laptop that's extremely thorough, something like landlord.net. I think you need to become a member of the site, but they have all the proper eviction forms available for every state, and outlines of the proper process. I would doubt you have to get law enforcement involved, but you're probably going to get kinda screwed reputation-wise throwing a pregnant lady out on the street just before fall. Everyone they talk to about it will probably not hear the part about the rent being late or never showing up, and utility bills being overdue, they'll only hear that you kicked them out in her 2nd trimester while they were out of work...

Or, they may magically come up with all the owed rent when they see they're about to become homeless... That's the way it usually goes with property tax foreclosure's on decent properties I see. The homeowner doesn't come up with a couple thousand a year for two years, then all of a sudden he has all of it just before the county siezes the property.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh Man!~--I feel for you!

Let me tell how my parents got shafted by renting a house--my uncle left my mother and father his house in his will--as he was dying in a nursing home,he told my dad to spend all his money on his house,so the nursing home couldn't get it--so he had the whole place fixed up--made new rooms in the attic,had a handicapped shower and bathroom put in,since my dad assumed he would someday live there--well,my mother shot down his plans,said she'd never move in--broke my old mans heart,but nothing he could do..

You cant leave a house empty and get house insurance--so my parents decide to rent the place(If I didn't have a pea sized brain,I should have moved in--but I felt it was too far from my job and our house in raynham(15 miles away)..so they rented it out to a "nice couple" who have a child,about 5 years old..my dad didn't like the idea of a little kid tearing up a freshly done over house--but since there are so many laws against discrimination now,there was not much he could do about it--so in they moved,and all was fine and dandy...for 6 months or so...

Then,one day my dad goes to the house to collect the rent..about 5 cars in the yard,and 15 kids running wild inside and out!..and the "mother" didn't have the rent--she gave several excuses,ranging from "my daughter's been sick",to "I didn't get my check cashed"--etc,etc,etc...after a week of this,my dad gave her an ultimatum--either pay up NOW,or his lawyer would stop by with eviction papers!--as to why all the kids were there,the mother said "Oh,we're having a birthday party"--but no hats,presents,or ice cream to be seen anywhere!..

I went inside to "use the bathroom",and I inspected the house while my dad kept the mother busy--IT WAS TRASHED!!!--crayon scribbling all over the newly painted sheetrock and plaster walls,holes punched in by doorknobs,and a few places looked like they were kicked in!..trash all over the place--even USED DIAPERS smeared on the walls,lying on the floor--all kinds of crap! (We later learned from nieghbors the "mother" had 3 kids,NOT 1!--and she was running an illegal "day care" center there!.. :mad: (Place looked like a kindergarten on a sugar buzz--with a crack hoar for a "den mother").. :eek1:

I told my dad,and he demanded to be let in to see the damage--but the mother refused to let him in,--he went in anyway!--she called the cops,and we knew she'd been dating one of the town cops..they came,but could not do anything about my dad going inside,since he was the landlord...my dad flipped when he saw the damage!--and told her he was going to file charges!

She was served eviction papers,but refused to leave-6 months go by!-the cops refused to help us evict her--not our problem they said!-"Its a CIVIL matter"--and they would leave!--no doubt her boyfriend helped her out in that case...

The only way I got her to move was for me to show up at the door with a suitcase--I told her I was moving in!--she'd had 6 months rent free,and NO MORE was going to be allowed!--she called the cops again,but they told her I had every right to move in,since her eviction papers were all in order,and she ignored them!..She proceeded to call me and my father every name in the book--and started packing!.. :D

I stayed there the whole day until she got a ride to another place,and we proceeded to change the locks--and I spent 4 sleepless nights there,to make sure they didn't come back!--I put all their stuff on the lawn,and on the 3rd day the mother came and picked the "good" stuff out of the pile,and left us all the junk to dispose of!--her cop "boyfriend" watching from the front seat of her car the whole time... :mad:

She never paid 1 cent of the back rent--to this day she owes my mother 2500 bucks--which I sincerely doubt she will ever see!..It cost my parents 2000 bucks to restore the house to its former condition--soured from the rental experience,they sold it a few months later for 110,000 bucks!--If I had a F'n brain I'd have bought it!(this was in 1993 or4)...a year later,housing costs here skyrocketed-- :eek1:

The new owner went and got a variance,and was allowed to build ANOTHER house on the 1 acre vacant lot the yard included--and he sold the house for 220,000 a year later,and moved into his brand new house next door for FREE practically! :doah: --I kick myself in the ass for passing up that deal--it could have been ME living in that new house,and with over 200 grand in the bank! :mad:

Bottom line is I'd NEVER rent to ANYONE!--nor would I want to be a "landlord",after seeing what greif my dad was put thru by those scumbags!..the laws are all in favor of the tennants,not the landlords--at least here anyway..I bet 90% of all the apartments in the towns nearby only get paid for rent because most of the people renting are "section 8" welfare recipients,and the state sends the rent check directly to the landlord(so I'm told anyway--not 100% sure)..but I bet a LOT of people are living in a place they were "evicted" from,but wont leave until forced physically by police or other authourities...

I wish you lots of luck evicting the deadbeats--your going to need it!..just be careful,as others said,if you say or do the wrong thing,you can cause a lot of greif for yourself..and they will come out smelling like a rose...My prayers are with you.... :crazy:

17. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Allan ... what a total hassle for you

I handled many landlord tenant disputes in my career....
    so.. as other posters have told you
    learn what the wash laws are for eviction... ususally there are forms at your courthouse... perhaps even legal aid can help you///

usually a marshal or civil process deputy will enforce an eviction notice///
    I could help you with Cali law but Im flying blind with washington (are there any wash LEO's that are members?)

go get an eviction and DO IT///

a persons freedom stops where your security starts....
    feeling sorry for them wont help anything... especially not you... a friend would not take advantage of you anyway...

you go hungry and work your nuts off so someone can live off you... no way...

if hes unemplyed he can go apply for assistance... or as you said she can get aid... trashing you isnt part of the agreement you made with them so feel NO GUILT.... people are repsonsible for themselves ... but many would be happy to hook you (others) into their own problems

cam

18. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

Send them on a free weekend trip and well there out Burn the place to the ground, WHAT!!! No rental property to tenets and money from the Ins.

Weekend trip $150.00
    5 candls $15.00
    Ins. $120.00
    No more Renters, PRICELESS :haha: :haha: :haha:

19. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

You forgot the part about insurance fraud and arson.

20. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good man. Try going to the local clerk of courts office, city or county, and see if they have the forms to get started. Many jurisdictions do and an eviction can be fairly simple and straight forward.