Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

renting a car when under 21?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spongeidys, Oct 31, 2006.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

what are my chances of renting a car being that im only 20..and dont have a perfect driveing record..but i do have a major credit card and good credit if that helps any

my and my girlfriend are going out to cali for 2 weeks next month well shortly this month..and were staying with her brother(in the navy)...but we dont really have anything to drive.

other reason for going is my friend just got home from iraq and hes stationed in cali now so we will be visiting him also but he'll be 4 hours away from san deigo where we'll be staying... so i kinda really am banking on being able to rent a car...and i need some input on my chances ;D

oh and we will be planning to wheel somewhere...the buddy that just got back from iraq baught an ifs 93 silverado so im sure well end up breaking it

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i thought you had to be 25???

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

4. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

5. armyfiredawg

armyfiredawg Registered Member

Enterprise will, but theres a catch. Only certain locations will let you. Just look on there web site, type in when you want to go, and your age. It will tell you if that location has a age requirment. Also, if your military, they can usually wave it.

6. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

a trick to get a rental from a colision place.

the rental companys sit 3 or 4 car at the shop they and they often wont care

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i worked at a dealership with an enterprise inside, they wouldnt rent under 21, and if under 23 you could only rent certain cars, in our case, foci, so a buddy rented the car and i drove it...

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I used to/sorta still do work for Enterprise. I actually worked for them in San Diego on a Marine Corps base 99-01. Anyways, out there they WON'T rent to you unless you're a military member...and even then I beleive there's a fee due to your age.

How old is your gf's brother? Perhaps he can rent it and you can be put on as an additional driver? Don't just drive it after he rents it with no mention of you. Anything happens with you driving and he's fully liable for everything.

Also, watch your mileage, dealt with that this summer. Rented a van for 2 days and put 800 miles on it driving all over the state. The agreement said I only had 400 miles over those 2 days and therefore I owed something like $300. I got them to just officially rent it to me for 4 days for like $90 and accept it back early. Cost me less and they got the van back sooner to rent again.

If I recall...I think...Hertz and some of the other bigger names are a bit less harsh on the younger drivers. Call around.

10. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I remember a few years ago, my buddy was 23 years old and on military orders and still got hasseled. Funny that he was trusted to fly a $25M Blackhawk, but couldn't rent a Taurus.

11. AJMBLAZER

Who'd he rent from? Enterprise just makes you fill out a bit more paperwork and you can't technically rent the luxury and high $$$ vehicles. We rented plenty of cars to servicemembers under the age of 25 while I was there...

Semi-related funny story:
    There once was an Air Force 2nd Louie B-1 Bomber copilot who took a brand new (couple hundred miles on the odo) Volvo wagon to Tijuana, Mexico without telling us or getting the Mexico insurance and then wrecked it, stripped the plate, and abandoned it...
    ...then left with his crew on a Trans-Pac the next day and told no one. We found out where the car was a week later when the Federalis actually called us up and wanted to know when we were coming to tow away the left over hulk of the car. The unibody was about all that was left.
    My boss was getting no where with anyone in his squadron back in Kansas or somewhere while trying to find the guy and the car and then accidentally got handed over to someone in his squadron's wing HQ. Needless to say Colonel so-and-so wasn't pleased and ended up personally taking up the task of locating the errant butterbar.
    I'm pretty sure this ended up in his long term record and he owned something like $33,000 to the big green E. He's probably still paying it off.:D
    If he'd just paid a partly refundable $100 it would have all been covered.:rolleyes:

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

WHAT THE ****!?

AJ MOTHER****ING M!?

Dude!

13. AJMBLAZER

Yes RJ...

...just like a bad fungus I come back long after you've forgotten about me...:D

14. Resurrection_Joe

I always think about you!

.......and your little helmet that you need to ride a horsey

15. AJMBLAZER

Well, since I haven't ridden a horse since then...so far your theory holds true.

16. Resurrection_Joe

Nice to see you around, bro

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

they just changed az law to 21, it was 25

can you say ford mustang cobra rental from hertz?

you cant turn the traction control off

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah I looked into it when I was going to my first duty station. I wanted to drive and visit family along the way. Renting turned out to be impossible, even though I had orders to PCS. But the orders didn't specify rental, so it was no deal. Didn't matter who I tried renting from. Ended up just flying straight home instead.