Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Renting a [gasp!] Jeep in Moab....??

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by Greg72, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey guys,

Well, I've booked all my flights, hotels, campsites, and even a rental car (for the stretch from SLC airport to Moab)....and now I'm starting to get some ugly news about shipping the K5.

Open transport trucking companies are a very different animal compared to the enclosed ones. They deliver in "roughly" 3 weeks from the time they pick up the vehicle and from what I've seen, they may end up unloading it a lot to get other vehicles on the transport depending on where the stops are, etc.

So I'm looking at spending anywhere from $2600 to well over $3000 just to ship my K5 to the event this year, and I don't even get a 100% guarantee that it will arrive when I need it..... :eek1: At this point, I'm seriously considering just renting a Jeep from one of the local shops instead.... It looks like a weekly rental for a Wrangler Rubicon is less than $900.

I really want to "represent" with the K5 this year, but I've already spent a LOT of money just getting the airfare and lodging worked out, and I'm starting to wonder if I'd feel better about saving that $$$ and using it on the K5 later on, instead of just spending it on shipping???

What do you think guys....???

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Don't worry about it , rent the Jeep or ride with someone . Just come and see the "other" Family members in your life :waytogo:

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have seen rental Jeeps in Moab do some spectacular stuff.

I think that the average rental in Moab lasts about 1 year.

Do it. Rent, beg, borrow or steal a ride and get it done.
    I wouldn't let them have my junk for three weeks with not being sure it was going to be there.

There are going to be seats so I would just show up and catch a ride with who ever on the trails you wnat to go on.

That's a bunch of coin to wheel for three or four days.

4. Greg72

True....it's already become an expensive vacation, even before the transport costs are factored in. I'd really prefer to spend those $$$$ on the K5 itself, and not throw them away on shipping charges....

Cliffhanger Jeep Rental is the place I found that does the Rubicon rentals....anyone have an opinion on them? There is a place called Farabee which seems to have been in the Moab area forever...??? I'm sure there are others too, and I'll take any suggestions from people "in the know" about which places are the best to work with.

:usaflag:

5. DIRKSTER

DIRKSTER 1/2 ton status

i think you have the rite idea just putting the money into your truck rather that give it to some guy hwo cant even promise to get it here on time. cliffhanger jeep rental has som pretty nice rubacons that the rent that are very capable of doing a lot of wheeling. you should be able to find them on the internet. if not i can check for you.
    i have some freands coming from Nebraska that will be driving jeeps so you wont be the only one.you will have a good time in any case we will se to that.
    see you there.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This may be obvious, but why is that shipping so crazy high? Can't you normally ship a vehicle practically across the country for like $1200?

My vote is to fly out and catch a ride...

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Greg, that really sucks. In reality that is a bunch of money just for shipping. Just climb into the blazer about 5 days before you want to be there and just do the drive. Not like you haven't done it before. Cancel your plane ticket and drive the beast. :D

8. Greg72

(x2) though.....'cuz I also want to have the vehicle come BACK when I'm done wheeling it. :D

I'm seeing slight premiums for the oversize vehicle, but the costs skyrocket when you start looking for door-to-door service and/or a guaranteed delivery date.

I think I'm taking Dirk's advice and calling the Cliffhanger place. Their website looked pretty snazzy, but I just wanted to hear from someone in that area to make sure they weren't a fly-by-night outfit.

9. Greg72

What are you doing on-line? Shouldn't you be building a 502 out in the garage??? :haha:

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, i was actually at work but took a break from working on 502 parts to cool down and browse for a few. :thumb:

11. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Save some coin and wheel a heep, or ride with someone else that way the hangovers dont hurt so bad:D .

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I agree, just rent a rubicon. Heck those things are sick in stock form and that point can't be argued. Or just ride along with someone. I am pretty sure they leave them stock so you might be limited with your trail selection w/ 31" tires....just something to think about....

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well that sucks about the K5, but sounds like a cool idea to rent a jeep...maybe just get it for a day and if you like it, keep it for the remander...if you don't like it I'm sure we can find a seat for ya :D
    Hey get the insurance so you can BASH it! hehehehehe
    Whatever you do just BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

14. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I was looking into that. Some nice rigs. Farrabe(sp?) wants if i remember right $165 a day, and gotta be 25....Sucks for us young guys.

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member