Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

repacking bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crashfirepm53, Aug 25, 2004.

1. crashfirepm53

crashfirepm53 Registered Member

Any special I should know on repacking the bearings on the front 10 bolt w/ locking hubs or is it straightforward?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

nope just fill them with grease like you would any other bearing.

3. jon v

jon v Registered Member

Have you ever checked the spindle bearings? Every spring a good time to clean and repack them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

A pretty simple and sorta clean way to pack bearings is to take a handful of grease and put it in a ziplock baggie. Then drop the bearing in and squeeze the air out then start squishing the grease in the bearing. Works well and doesnt make too big a mess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Cool tip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Here's a variation on the ziploc. Little quicker but don't let your wife catch ya.

clickety here

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack but since that draws the air out does it actually draw the grease into the bearing like it should or do you still have to push it in the bearing. Just trying to justify actually buying one since I'll be able to use it as much as the wife will.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've done it two or three times now and it makes a difference where in the bag you put the grease. Some in the corners, some in the center and then some more in on top of the bearings. Basically distributing it around the bearing so it pulls in better. When the air is drawn out, the resulting vaccum pulls the grease into the voids. You can kinda help it along too as its sucking the air out. I like it. My DD all the wheel bearings were done this way and no trauma thus far and I got quite a few miles on it already since the axle swap.

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Thats awesome...I like this...I was just packing bearings yesterday for my old Impala..what a mess I hate it, but this is great....