Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

repacking bearings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 4, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I figure that because of the amount of water and mud I have gone through, its about time to repack my bearings. My question is how do I do this and what is involved? I have 10 bolts.

90K5

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

First get a manual. The rear bearings are lubed by oil from the diff, so don't need to be packed. For the front, follow the manual. Take off the locking hub screws and pull the hub lock mechanism out. Remove the brake caliper. Remove the lock ring from the inside of the hub. Remove the snap ring from the end of the axle. Pull the splined slider out and then buy the special spannel wrench to remove lock nut. Take out the perforated washer and then the bearing rtaiing nut (same special wrench). Pull the whole hub off and the outer bearing will fall out. The inner bearing is removed by pressig out the grease seal on the inside of the hub. You can use a needle fitting on a grease gun to pack the bearings. Always put in a new seal behind the inner bearing. It sounds like a lot of parts but it is really pretty simple. Adjust the bearing by tightening the nut and spinng the rotor to seat the bearings. Then back off to just remome the preload plus whatever extra backoff you need to align the holes in the perforated lock-washer. Good luck

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Another tip is to throw the bearing and a gob of grease into a zip lock sandwich bag and manipulate the grease into the rollers. Sure saves a huge mess in your hands!!

ken

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of the plastic bag! Never heard it before and it makes sense.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you really want to be sure that all of the junk is out, spray 'em out with brake parts cleaner before packing them with new grease.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i have dont the baggy thing before. WORK GREAT!!!!!!!!
    brettmcox.coloradok5.com