Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repaint and body work... How much did you(gulp) pay?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Apr 9, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's almost time to do the paint on my 84, along with all the typical bodywork. How much have you guys spent? My panels are in pretty good shape, mostly surface stuff but a few cutouts are going to need to be done. Did you repair or replace your panels? And what about color? Is it cheaper to go to a solid or get the two-tone again?

2. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

My personal view - The cheapest way is to have it done the way YOU want it the first time. Cutting corners now could force you to do it all again later. Even if it's just the color. "Do it right" or live with it untill you can. Bet you knew that.
    Enjoy the project - it,s fun

BB454
    If it does not have 8 pistons - it's broken

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

deifinitely do it right the first time. You will never be happy if you cut corners. I paid about 2300.00 for my paint and body work on mine. There was some damage from a tree(front fender,hood,door,pillar ,and roof) hitting it during a big windstorm(100mph) winds Here on the west coast they call them windstorms on the east coast cat 3 hurricane.

4. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

My Dad paid to get mine redone-just did it last December and there is rust showing through already. He paid about $1900 for the job....Bondo sucks!!!!

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

It is cheaper if you can take your truck in all ready to be painted the same color it was. It costs more to change the color completely because of all those nooks and crannies that have to be color matched. If at all possible try and do all of the easy stuff yourself and it cant hurt to try the hard stuff too just have the body shop re-do it if you mess it up too bad. I saved myself alot of $ by fixing all of the surface rust and removing the old paint down to the bare metal and prepping it myself...I use rattle cans of primer and it looks great 1 spot of rust in the "made in china" front fender I replaced....DONT be fooled by these MAACO commercials..oh we can paint your car for 225$...they charge to remove any rust or pinstriping..ect there alot of hidden charges..

6. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I had my 85 painted about 7 years ago by a local shop. Changed the primary color from the metalic blue and only paid $695! They even painted it twice. I picked a color that when applied looked baby blue. The shop called me down and asked if that was really what I was looking for. Glad I went to a local shop and searched around alittle. Need a new job again. Damn bushes in AZ. Oh that's right...AZ Pinstripes!

Good Luck.

7. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Geez, I'm offended Blazin' Grrl!!! J/K

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

8. I just finished mine about three weeks ago. Don't expect to get done in two or three days cause it takes time. Don't hurry through it, make shure you look over every last inch of the truck. I don't know if your planning to but take off your cap, you'd be suprised whats under there. Mine was two toned, Gray and Black, but I decided the fade the colors together, like Gray from the bottom up into Black. By doing this I still had the two tone type effect but didn't have to buy any molding. Make shure that you are there when someone paints it so you have the final word on how it looks. Also I bought my paint, PPG Omni, for about $150 in all, that includes Clear, Black, Gray, and something else, dammn if I can't remember. Well good luck!

<font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

9. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

My next project is the infamous back gate hinge replacement. as we all know our girls are quite prone
    to the cancer in the ass. i have a welder and an uncle thats an ironworker. so i hope ill be able to pull this one off. from what i hear / to have it done @ a shop is around $1200.00 [​IMG] but then again if your going to have something done / it has to be done right ... right?
    iam scard that back gate is just going to drop out one me one of these days...

some insight on this project would be much appreciated...
    send private if need be

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

ABO raises another question......Is it worth it to replace the factory moldings? I priced out the whole truck and almost s..t my pants when I figured out how much it cost. Has anyone done their paint and not bothered? If so, have they had any problems with door dings and stuff(my truck isn't raised)?

11. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Look closely at your truck before replacing those side moldings before you buy new ones. When I stripped my truck for it's rebuild I found small blisters in the old paint all along underneath those moldings. Close inspection showed that these blisters contained water (regular steamcleaning done on this truck) which would have caused rust under the moldings. I had already imported a full new set of beadings but after seeing the cancer they can cause I changed my mind about ever putting them on. I painted the K5 in such a way that they would never be missed. If you live in wet places - you might want to remove and not replace those moldings.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !