Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repaint or not repaint that is the question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, May 13, 2002.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I'm just getting the money to get my blazer repainted since that horrible wreck i was in. The question is should I pay $1500 to get it repainted or should i just keep the money and rattle can it. The reasons i want to paint it is because i hate having crappy looking paint i guess i like the show truck look, the reason i don't want to paint it is i'm afraid someone will key it at school or somthing like that and i have liablity only one more reason i don't want to paint it is i'm only 18 and still in HS and it took almost a year to get $1500 rounded up. What would you do. Oh if you don't remember my wreck just take a look at my pictures. And i'm still battleing that stupid lady who hit me head on doing 50mph i hate the court system

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

If you have the ability to "rattle can"..................you can paint it yourself. Do you have access to an air compressor? For about $300.00 in materials, you can get a pretty good paint job with an impresive finish in a clean garage.

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Get it painted professionally IMO. I think that thing looked great from the side that was not hit. Time to get a nice red shiny finish on it again. Maybe look around and see if there are any better deals. Shops will usually cut you a deal if you do the prep work. When I had mine painted I removed all the chrome trim, lights, mirrors, bumpers, anything that they will need to remove. See if you cant find a cheaper deal. Also I know a lot of people frown on Maaco, but I had mine done there in its earlier days, and for the price you cant really complain. Think I paid about 300, however the paint had a 1 year warranty and after one year it was fading. Myabe try one of their more expensive jobs, like 6-7 hundred, they are suppoed to be "shine guaranteed" for like 5 years I think.

4. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I told him i would take it all apart for him and i mean everthing taken off including the top and the whole interior so i can redo the inside and that is the price he gave me

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Can't you just have the front painted, looks like the rest of the truck is in pretty good shape. A good paint shop should be able to match the color and spray the front for a lot less money.

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I would wait until you are out of school. Thats my fear every day becuase I'm still in high school and I hear of people's car's getting keyed. your truck isnt' all rotted out or anything just a couple different colors. In my book that's totally fine becuase it isn't junk, just a "work in progress" I'd keep it like it is until you are out of school and have enough money for the best job possible and I think you'll never regret it.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get someone to paint the front clip professionally.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Personally I'd leave it or rattle can it if you don't like the multicolored look. I'd be fine with it the way it is to be honest. Put the $1500 away and let it make some money for you over the next little while.

When I first got my Jimmy it was a nice new shiny white...and I worried about scratching it up off road. After a short while the crappy body work the PO did started to show through and I had a rust disaster on my hands and before long I had a truck with 3 or 4 different colors on it. My focus and priorities for the truck changed too, and your's might too. If you develop a taste for wheeling it a rattle can job may be your best bet. I ended up choosing flat black when I got over 5 colors on the truck. The latest addition was a baby blue door that I couldn't live with/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I am happy with the way it turned out and with some decent prep it can turn out not bad at all. It is also easy to touch up and "trail pinstriping" doesn't bother me at all. If it does get badly scratched somewhere I can easily touch it up for next to nothing.

Your truck already has a good thick coat of paint everywhere so rust protection isn't an issue...

I can relate to your situation with the wreck too. I had just spliced a rust free rear half of a Blazer onto my truck and was a weekend away from painting it a nice dark red when I got rear ended by a drunk in Portland. She hit me doing 55 MPH in a 77 Ford pick-up while I was sitting at a red light./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I have it mostly fixed now but it will never be a straight truck again/forums/images/icons/frown.gif I'm still fighting insurance to get compensated too.

My 2 cents...

Rene

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

if you do go the bomb can way, choose the paint carefully. My truck looked just like yours my junior year of high school, then senior year I painted the front fenders to match with spray can stuff. When I had it painted professionally this past summer the new paint reacted weird with some of the old bomb can paint and I had to bring my truck back in so they could strip the fenders and door down and paint them again /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    I never had a problem with keying or anyting at school and with almost 500 kids on my graduating class alone I'm a little suprised. You could still go and get a "middle of the road" paint job from a place that isnt as pricey and well known and still hava a truck that looks cool.

10. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i say hold onto the money till your out of school its nice to have a good looking truck but its not that important the money in the bank will do more for you than a paint job

11. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I'd keep the money. A friend of mine started an eTrade account with the same amount and in two years, he had it up to around 20 grand! I wish I had that luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Are there any schools for auto body in your area ??? Maybe a community college ???? They do not charge for lobor. Just an idea to consitter.