Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

repainting

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kiley, Oct 29, 2001.

1. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I would like some input from you guys about repainting my rig. I plan to do it myself but have never tackled anything like this before. What's the process? How do I handle spots that are rusting but not rusted through? What kind of paint to use? Is a frame of paint job worth the effort?

2. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Because I am nearing the end of a 1.5 year frame off resto project, I have some input. It is very difficult to get a good finish on paint if you don't use a paint booth. I only painted non critical surfaces myself (underside of hood, firewall, etc. While I tried to make a crude paint booth, the paint still has visible grains from dust. My garage is clean, but in the 8 hours it takes the paint to harden, the dust will find the surface. I am leaving the exterior to a professional. I used a single stage acrylic enamel which is very easy to use. You can do this , or use a two stage (color plus clear coat). On the frame I used POR15 plus gloss enamel on top since the POR 15 is not too shiny. Good luck, JT

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Check out:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.autobodystore.com>http://www.autobodystore.com</a>

There's a lot of information on that site and some pretty good prices.

4. kiley

kiley Registered Member

As always, your input is very appreciated. Thanks