Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repair a hardtop bracket mount???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by enigma2y0u, Dec 29, 2006.

1. enigma2y0u

enigma2y0u Registered Member

Can it be done? I just bought a '75 Jimmy and the passenger hard top mounting hole is messed up. It is the one above the windshield on the hardtop side.

I think what has happened is whatever is embedded in the fiberglass has broke loose and my bolt is half way threaded into it and I can't remove the bolt cause it just spins. Also, I dont' want to take the enitre hard top off right now cause it is december. I will not have a problem taking it off to fix it of course, but I will have to wait for some nice days.

Is this a common problem with hardtops? Is there a good way to fix it? The truck is in need of some other small repairs, but this one is bothering me. I didn't realize it was broke till I bought it.

Thanks for any help.

ETA: Here is what I bought. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=listings/view&ad=8015

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Iv'e often wondered about this on my '73 top, which is why I'm always very carfeful when I take it on and off not to torque those boltst down too hard or cross-thread them, and I use anti-sieze on those bolts to keep them from rusting in place.

Repairing it could prove difficult, as you mention, the nut plate is embedded inside the top itself. If your good with glass, it can be done. You'd have to cut out that entire section (being careful not to cut too deep and go through the top surface!), retrieve the nut plate, and glass it back in there. Probably not too difficult if the top is on the ground, on it's back and you have a couple of days to leave it there to work with it. Glass only a little at a time, don't try to cake it on there all at once. Functionality wise, probably not too hard, aestically wise, could be much more challenging.

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I assume the plate inside the top is spinning? Could you drill a SMALL hole through the top and the plate just to the side of the mount hole and insert a pin or bolt to keep it from spinning?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Ohh...that's a good idea. Just have to make sure you get the plate.

5. enigma2y0u

enigma2y0u Registered Member

You know, I seen 2 rivots in there last night. One on each side of the hole in the top. I wonder if these rivots broke off??? Maybe I could drill them out and put new rivots in given that I can line up the plate???

I hope I can fix it. Maybe I will have to take it to a professional shop that can do a repair like this. I don't want to screw it up.

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's funny this got brought up. On my 75 I had to tighten the three bolts to the top at the header because they backed out on thier own. Couldn't figure out where the squeeking was coming from. That is until I looked up and saw the top moving one way and the header moving opposite. The two outside bolts were loose. I didn't want to break the nut loose in the top so just got them snug.

To get the existing bolt out thats spinning, you might be able to wedge a flat screwdriver in between the top and the bracket to hold the nut while you gently back out the bolt.