Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repair adaptor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Aug 7, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    If a tranny -> transfer adaptor is cracked is it worth it to repair it? If its cast iron, I'd have to use a expensive nickle rod and peen between welds.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Usually if your T-case adaptor is cracked you can't find another for sale anywhere...but as soon as you go to the trouble and expense of fixing it you'll find a cherry one for next to nothing.

My repaired 205 adaptor did just fine for 3 years or so...then I ran across another one with no cracks or damage for $20 so I snagged it and used it recently. The repaired one is now my 'spare'.

rene

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have seen a few guys in my area install a np205 case to a turbo 400 for heavy duty use like plowing,etc,by making their own adaptor out of 3 inch schedule 40 pipe and 3/8 steel plate,they copy the bolt patterns and the length, and weld the pipe to the plate---seen several that look crude as hell,but they work fine!One guy used a short tail car turbo 400(all he could get at the time) and made a short shaft out of the driveshaft slip yoke(turbo 400 on one end,and the tailshaft from an old turbo 350 welded inside it)to connect the tranny to the transfer case.I am suprised no one like advance adaptors makes a steel replacement adaptor---i'd think there would be a market for it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Advanced adapters does sell SOME steel adapters. I know they have one for the 350/205 combo, don't know if they have any others.

Might be something ORD should look into................?