Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

repair help for my 93 Burb K1500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 30-A rider, Jan 14, 2006.

1. 30-A rider

30-A rider Registered Member

First, Thanks to all who take the time and reply to my questions.

93 Suburban K1500. Truck is in need of some front end work. Consider myself rather mechanically inclined having done several frame off restorations, but have never done any front end work on an IFS truck like this. Was gonna buy factory manual but cheapest I found was $135 !!!!!, and thats just ridiculous in my opinion. So I need some reference material or some insight from experienced owners of these IFS type trucks, Need to replace lower ball joints, CV axles and boots on both sides, and pitman arm. truck has 230K on it and runs tip top but way overdue for this work.

Now in addition currently I am running 285/75-16 tires on factory wheels. Only off roading I do is driving on the beach right near my house which has very fine sugar white sand. I guess due to weight this truck get close to getting stuck pretty often so I have to go through faster than I would like....., and then park on sand that is a little wet if I want to get out. Would like some suggestions besides lowering tire pressure to under 20 lbs to get this truck through the sand easier. Would love to put a larger tire on it but want to stick with factory wheels #1 and #2 dont want to lift it real high. Maybe 2"...4" max. Cant I get a 305 tire on it as is w/o any rubbing?
    Any insight to limited lifts and larger tires or whatever would work is appretiated.

Final question...and I know I have asked quite a bit, but really do appretiate advice as I never do any work Im not experienced in...w/o reasearching it. I have stock exhaust manifolds, with stock Y pipe....this goes into high flow CAT...then 3" pipe into a single flow master and single 3" tail pipe. This has done well for me but being a muscle car enthusiast I cant stand not having true duals. In Florida there are no car inspections/ emission tests...SO, I plan to use a headers in the future and my question is...anyone know of any companies that make a true dual system for this truck....AND any recomendations on headers to use that are best bang for the buck? Im sure I could get a custom system done as I had worked at high perf exhaust shop in my late teens...problem is today if I got a custom dual system like that because it would be illegal I would end up paying $500-$1000 which are the prices I have gotten to date WITHOUT MUFFLERS!. If I had a pipe bender I would be in business but dont have acces to one ....so again anyone have any suggestions?

Again thanks to any who can give me some insight on these questions its greatly appretiated.

Scott

2. 30-A rider

Bump. Anyone? I know lots on here have experience with my questions. Reply's will be greatly appretiated.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You won't find a better manual than the factory one from Helm. Yes, it costs a lot, but you get 4 BIG manuals with every detail that you'll ever need. However, it is worth it for a rig with 230K miles on the clock? Only you can determine that.

As for getting through the sand, lowering the tire pressure is the best thing you can do, at least for cheap. Pep Boys and 4 Wheel Parts sell a nice, fast air compressor that connects to your battery, for about $80. It will refill your tires very quickly once you're ready to get back on the road.

I don't think you'll find a complete dual exhaust kit that fits that truck. Since it's illegal to install, and more places check for emissions compliance all the time, there just isn't enough demand. You might be able to kluge something together using a universal dual kit, but don't expect huge gains. That mongo 3 inch single pipe is pretty capable of letting a low RPM truck 350 breathe.

4. 30-A rider

Anyone else? A diagram or site I can look at to help me before I dive in ...just to change Cv axles, ball joints and piutman arm...any tricks from anyone? Anyone? please