Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repair manual for '87 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazinaire, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Repair manual for \'87 K5

Who makes a good repair manual for an '87 K5? I have been going to the library to get info for my truck and 99% of the time I end up having to use the '88 & up (newer body style) repair manuals /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . I need something that will give info on 87-91 solid axles. The manuals that address solid axle GM's don't say anything about the later computer controlled, fuel injected vehicles /forums/images/icons/mad.gif, and sometimes they don't even say anything about overdrive transmissions. Anyone have good luck with a particular book?

2. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Re: Repair manual for \'87 K5

I have the Heim manuals for my 89, they give all the details on the ECM and TBI stuff, but only treat the IFS not the SFA. It looks like us 87-91 Blazer types are in a "two-manual" state.

Use the 87 truck manual for the SFA. You can probably get one on eBay for under $20

Check this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840005462

John

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I got mine fom Helm. The whole set for an '87 consists of 4 books total. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Check 'em out at www.helminc.com

4. Blazinaire

Anyone had any luck using a chiltons or haynes manual? Something cheap like that would be a little better suited to my budget /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif , are there any others out there?

5. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I use the Haynes book. Lots of good info, considering im a beginner. it covers a wide range of years and models but is easy to use.

6. HarryH3

Chilton and Haynes tend to have more hints and tips for the novice, but the Helm manuals have way more information in them about the whole rig. Wiring diagrams, component locations, etc. can be very helpful. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Blazinaire

if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the set of Helm manuals?

8. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Mine were ~$100 for the service manual, the unit repair manual and wiring diagrams, but you can probably get decent ones on ebay for half that. I also have a Haynes, which I sometimes find helpful, but it is definitely a poor substitute for the Helms books. The diagnostics charts alone are worth the $100 and the Unit Repair manual gives exploded diagrams and component rebuild info for all the major parts. Good stuff.

John

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I have a chiltons and haynes, and they both seem to think I have a d44 front end, I don't I counted the bolts myself, even the dealership computer thinks my '87 has a d44 /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif , wish I did. GM did some funny things over the years, whenever they had surplus parts they would use them instead of the one called for in the specs, oh well , adds character I guess, plus you have your own vehicle which is unlike any other /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. HarryH3

I bought mine about 12 years ago. They were around $50 for the whole set back then. The latest set that I bought are for my wife's '94 Suburban. That set cost around $165!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif But I fix all my own stuff, so they pay for themselves pretty quickly. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif