Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

repair manual poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, Sep 5, 2002.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ah, your poll is flawed. I have Chilton's, Hayne's, and the Big Book. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I need to get the big book /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

4. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

i have Mitchels Repair CDs...

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have the Haynes manual and it might as well be written in Greek for as well as it describes alot of the procedures. Not nearly enough illustartions in it. Helm should have the full factory manual set for around $100. </font color>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got a Haynes and Chilton. Not much use really, but each has some little stuff that proves useful from time to time. My best manuals are a piece-meal set of factory service manuals that I got off ebay for a total cost of around $50 (less I think, don’t remember). The most valuable manuals I have are a "Driveability manual" (HIGHLY RECOMEND), complete electrical diagrams manual, and a Light duty truck service manual.

7. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Just curious which is most popular. If the manual, any manual, saves you from screwing up a part or saves you lots of time troubleshooting than its well worth the price. I get the full factory manuals for every car or truck I buy. Got some Chiltons too, but they seem to leave you hanging on the tough jobs, like gears and the like. Lot of the pictures in the Chilton are the same as in the factory manuals, they must buy the rights to reprint them or something. It's a shame that some guys gladly drop a couple thousand on parts for a truck but don't want to pop for a manual! Hell, an exploded view is worth its weight in gold!

And yea the factory "Fuel and Emissions Including Driveability" for "Fuel Injected Gas Engines Only" manual is a must have (for '88 TBI anyway).

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a Haynes manual and I love it. I have the general idea before I dive into it so it's a good guide. I would love to have money to spend on the factory manuals but they're big $$$.

Chiltons manuals make great toilet paper but don't do much else.

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I have a Chevrolet service dept. at my disposal...
    Jim

10. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

I hear ya, back in 93 it cost only $40 for the complete GM factory set for the 88 Jimmy. Ok don't laugh, in 2000 it cost $104 for a Dodge mini van manual, hey at least its all wheel drive (got tired of backing the wife's Transport up the driveway in the snow). Even at $100+ its still well worth the money though.

PS anyone want to buy a 97 Venture/Transport manual??

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Like I said before, hit ebay. They always have a bunch of them listed. Doug (AZBlazer) is the one that put me onto them and it certainly works...

12. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

You must be like a kid in the candy store!!! Wow, now that you let that slip out, we get to hound you for answers the main corporate office sidesteps: "We would not be able to offer technical support through this office. We must rely on the technical expertise of our dealers to provide this type of customer support. This is why we advised that you speak with them for this information. They have access to GMC engineering as well as their own Technical Assistance Center which can assist them in resolving any mechanical concerns you may be experiencing with your truck. " umm did they really mean to say "bite me"?

Ok here goes:
    1. Why is the rear track narrower than the front?
    2. Why is there a steering stabilizer stock on the trucks and does it have anything to do with DW?
    3. What, based on GM's vast engineering knowledge, are the primary causes of DW.
    4. What the hell is that little metal piece for that bolts to the inside of the rear quarter panel by the tail light?

Just kidding, some things in life are just meant to be a mystery.

13. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I gotta 1978 chevy k20 repair manual off ebay for 23 bucks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif this thing tells everything from adjusting the doors to rebuilding the master cylindar or axle... very indepth!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, for 87 Jimmy I have the 69-87 haynes and chilton manuals, plus the 88-99 haynes manual because it has all the TBI info. Then for the 99 burb I have the full helms set that is also helping me put the 99 vortec motor into the 87 Jimmy.

Mike

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

moved to the garage forum

16. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have both the Chiltons and Haynes. I like the Haynes better, seems to have better pictures and more detail. The Chilton has pretty crappy pics. I'm just starting out so the two together give me a pretty good overview but I'm finding now that I might want to get a factory service manual for more details.